Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Season of Neglect

I wasn't going to start a flower garden at all this year. Then one of our friends had use of a rototiller for a week and asked if we would like to use it, so I figured I might as well take advantage of it, tear up the soil, and just throw some seeds in the ground to tide it over until next year.

Which, after working the soil QUITE a bit, is what I did. I didn't want to get into really mapping out my dream garden just yet, so I planted just a few perennials (flowers that come back every year), and then scattered the seeds of some of my favorite annuals (flowers that only live for one growing season).

This is what it all looked like on May 3rd of this year.

I put in minimal effort through probably the middle of June of so. Very minimal. I watered maybe twice a week. I didn't translate or thin my plants. I hardly ever weeded.

After June, I stopped doing anything altogether.



And this is what a completely neglected little flower patch looks like by September 28th. Not too pretty, but kind of a fun little experiment. I am shocked that my Cosmos grew to be about eight feet tall and are still growing. Most of the plants lasted all season without anything but rainfall, and there really aren't too many weeds in there (considering). Just a lot of really scraggly looking plants.
Next year I will put more effort and design in, but I don't regret my garden of free spirits.

2 comments:

Christie said...

That would be a good flower garden for me!

Audra & Levi said...

That looks great! I am anxious to see what mine looks like next year (the area we just did with the slate). Since transplanting my Dahlia and Zenias they have really taken off and they still look wonderful and healthy up there. I will have to take a picture. So, same thing, a totally neglected garden that still looks good! Your cherry tomatoes were good this year and my kids loved harvesting your garden :)!