Tuesday, October 21, 2008

You know what is it like, right?




It's 10:45 am. What I have gotten done today? Nothing really worth listing. Gabe is still in his PJ's, sitting on the floor fingering DVDs and demanding a story, which he will then act out, because that's his big thing these days. Oliver is sitting on my lap doing his jig one moment and then squawking for milk the next.

When Oliver went down for a nap in the morning, I thought to myself, Oh blessed baby-free time! What shall I do with it?

Put away the clean laundry that has been sitting on my floor since yesterday? Clear the toys out that have gathered in my bedroom?

Nope. Any veteran mom knows that the first time you get a chance to shower, you take it, 'cause who knows if there will be another chance, and then you might have to be the greasy, stinky mom picking her kindergartner up in the afternoon.

And sure enough, by the time I got dressed and picked up the first item of clothing from that pile to hang up, the baby was awake.

Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. I am happy and content. Just don't be surprised if you come to my house and the upstairs is trashed or the toilets are dirty, but somehow I have found the time to finish three books in a week. What I can get accomplished depends entirely on whether or not I can do it with the baby in the sling or my arms

What I can do with the kid in my arms:
Watch TV
Talk on the phone
Yell at my other kids
Read
Surf the internet
Blog (thanks to my old job at Burrelles, where I learned to type with one hand!)
Post on craigslist

What I can do with the kid in the sling:
All of the above
Make dinner (yes, I like to live on the edge)
Do the dishes
Nothing that involves a lot of bending over (which knocks most cleaning off the list)
Walk around Target for an hour
Soccer practice
That's about it


Just don't expect a lot from me and we will all be happy.

6 comments:

Christie said...

LOL...don't I know it. Now that Amelia is walking it is getting better, but it's been a long year! (And she still throws I fit when I have the nerve to walk around!)

Ashley said...

I know all too well. And I don't have a newborn as an excuse. In fact, my children are able to entertain themselves for 20-30, sometimes more, minutes at a time and I still don't get the house clean on a daily basis! They are both terrified of the vacuum so I usually have to wait till evenings to vacuum, and most the time it just doesn't happen. But today I gave the kids a sucker and sent them to the playroom so I could vacuum! I also got the kitchen mopped today! Now I can go another week being lazy. :)

But I know what you mean - "just don't expect a lot from me and we will all be happy" -every new mom deserves to say that!

Olivia Carter said...

Oh my goodness I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! Especially about SHOWERING! Gosh, if I don't sneak a shower during nap times I don't get one because either the kids want to come in or Scott (haha).

Audra & Levi said...

It is hard to put away dishes when they are pulling the pots and pans out of the cubbord as you do it! Now they are fighing over who should be sitting in which laundry basket... it doesn't get much better for me!

Christie said...

You can look at the cool new tools that just came out on Baby Name Wizard!

Jamie said...

That is such a cute picture of Oliver! He seems like a pretty happy baby!