Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oh, it's over alright!


We haven't had a lick of candy in this house since early Monday morning, when Chad took it to work and gave it away. How did I manage that, you ask?

We pretty much let the kids go at it with the candy on Halloween and Saturday. On Saturday afternoon, our own tummies bloated with chocolate, and our ears about to explode from the constant whining and begging, Chad and I sat the kids and their rotting teeth down and made them a deal. We would trade them all but ten pieces of their candy for a toy of their choice (provided it was under ten dollars). Oh, you better believe they jumped on that. New toys are usually reserved for birthdays and Christmas.


And so we set off to Target, where Gabe quickly settled on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (to go with his ninja costume, which he is still wearing around the house), and Colin hemmed and hawed until he decided to get some sidewalk chalk and a dry erase practice-your-alphabet book. Pure excitement, that kid.

Win win.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Good idea! I sent a bunch to school with Roy and we finished off the rest today :) I figured I'd just let them all that they wanted today and be done with it! No more candy for a while! (Well, until we get a package from Oma with a ton of candy from Germany - ay caramba!)

Autumn said...

I'm totally going to get hate mail for this but my kids ate NO candy on Halloween. They went trick or treating in our neighborhood and then gave their candy to their dad because, as they said, "he likes candy". :)

Chad Coleman said...

They gave it to their dad? Wow, those are some amazing kids. I will say our kids we more than willing to share thier candy, they were extremely generous, but I don't see them offering it up to Katie and I - that's great Autumn!

Kari said...

You go girl! I hid half of mine with the food storage (I figure it'll be good for bartering someday) and the kids are still whittling away at the rest of it.

Christie said...

Luckily my kids are still young enough that the candy just goes in the pantry and they get some when we feel like giving it, which has been less and less as the days go by.

Audra & Levi said...

We have it in a cubbord hidden away. They still ask for it, but we bring it our rarely. It is a good bride.

Katie said...

I probably would have let them have it all if I had more self control myself. I have enough self control to not buy candy, butI really can't have candy in the house or I WILL eat it. Honestly. To the point of getting a tummy ache.

Ashley said...

We are much alike Katie!

Christie said...

Mom and Dad came and wiped us out ;)