Friday, March 12, 2010

Cookie Crown Cake


We had a Relief Society birthday party last night, and there was a cake decorating contest. When it was first announced, I knew right away that I wanted to make a cake with my incredibly creative mom. Since I don't really have cake decorating skills (really, none), I searched online to find something fun and different that just about anyone could do. This is the cake I found. My mom made the cake itself (which was a scrumptious carrot cake) and then brought it over to decorate together. We found the template provided in the recipe was a little too small, so we enlarged it. I also used this cookie icing for the designs on the cookies and to hold the candy on. In all other ways, we followed the instructions. The whole time we were making the cookies to go around the cake, we were thinking they looked kind of sloppy, but once they were decorated and on the cake, you really couldn't tell. It took a long time to make, but if I ever have a daughter who wants a princess party, I would do it again. It could also easily be color-coordinated to match a themed party - I can picture a cake with all pink candy on it.

We titled our cake "Daughters of a King." It got a lot of "ooohs" and "ahhs" when we brought it to Relief Society, and we ended up getting first place for appearance!

It must be mentioned that my boys had a good time decorating and eating the cast-off cookies. Ollie especially liked the steady supply of M&M's that I gave him to keep him busy while we decorated.


4 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oh Katie! You and I are on an identical wave length sometimes!

Syd's birthday party is in a week and we're doing a "royal" birthday. Really, it's kind of a princess party but she has no friends that are girls so we needed to incorporate the boys that are coming somehow. So, it's a knight, prince, princess party & this cake would be lovely.

But seriously, is it really hard? I need to know because I'm a BAD cookie maker. really. No bueno.

I wish you were here so you could help me make it. I just don't think I have the skillz.

Katie said...

Olivia - you are a capable, creative person. Seriously, you could do it without any problems! You use store-bought dough and their template. I have got no skillz. Really, you could REALLY do it. It took us about 2 hours with lots of distractions.

Audra said...

So pretty! I would hate to cut into it... except that I know there is a carrot cake under there!

Em said...

i missed our rs party! :-( sean has scouts on tuesday, and even though they had a nursery i didn't want to leave brennan in it. there is this family that always brings their kids to the nursery sick and i just don't want to have a sick toddler again at the same time as a newborn. it was no bueno. i never want to do it again. the sick part, not the newborn part. anyway, i stayed at home with the kids and we watched toy story and made tuna melts. i ate a handful of swedish fish in celebration after the kids were all in bed.