Monday, March 8, 2010

A Day Worth Remembering

It was 66 degrees here today. After picking Gabe up from preschool, our day was devoted to the backyard. For two hours, we basked in the sun. I never thought the 60's could feel so warm to me.

I planted the two blueberry bushes I got for my birthday (Thanks Mom and Dad! Thanks boys!), some butterfly bushes (thanks neigbhor!), and divided and replanted my Black-eyed Susans.

I was a happy woman, and Oliver was the happiest he has been for weeks. That boy needs to be outside as much as I do.

I like to save the little tags that come on my plants to remind me of exactly what variety they are, but I always end up losing them. Today when I was taking a picture of my new blueberries (which I like to do so I can look back in later years and see the progress), an idea popped into my head - take a picture of the tagse! Of course! Pictures, I don't lose, especially if I post them on my blog. Here you go...Jersey Blueberry and Rabbiteye Blueberry....never to be forgotten.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I wish I knew how to divide my plants. It sounds so simple but having never done it before it makes me a bit nervous.

I am jealous that you are working outside- our snow is still melting.

Ashley said...

I never thought that 40 degrees would feel so warm to me! We all played outside for about 20 minutes today and it felt wonderful! I can't wait for the snow to melt and the ground to dry up so Isaac can frolic in the grass! I feel bad because the other kids always got to play outside in CA and poor Isaac has been inside for MONTHS!

I'm glad you got out and enjoyed the weather - can't wait to see your garden!

Olivia Carter said...

Oh man! i can't wait until I can start a garden here. I'll have to come to you for some advice!

Those blueberries look amazing!

Katie said...

Kelly - Basically I just dig them up, cut them in half, and re-plant them! I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it, but it seems to work.

Olivia - I promise I am a very mediocre gardener. Lindsey's husband Seth, on the other hand - he is the one who can dispense advice!

Anonymous said...

Well... that's very interessting but actually i have a hard time seeing it... I'm wondering what others have to say....

Em said...

brennan is an outside man. even as a baby he would stop crying if we would take him outside. which said a lot b/c he cried every other waking minute of the day. i learned quickly as it warmed up that we would go swimming every day to keep my sanity. now i go crazy in doors if we have to stay all day. i love some fresh air. it makes me feel like a better mom when we get out, and like we've done something productive with our day.