Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hour of Peace and Rest


When I was just a girl, my parents instituted An Hour of Peace and Rest. Every Sabbath, there would be an hour when every child retired to their bed, ordered to silence for the span of sixty minutes. There were eight children in a four bedroom home, so I'm not sure what level of peace we ever really acheived, and I can remember sneaking out the window with my sister Ashley to pick the grapefruits from the tree that grew next our bedroom, but we knew that for that little time each week, we needed to at least pretend to be resting. I think it was one of my parents' favorite times of the week, and I can still remember my dad singing, "There is an hour of peace and rest...."

Chad and I have very fondly carried on this tradition. Colin goes in the guest room, Gabe goes in their bedroom, and Chad and I take turns napping with the baby while the other one sprawls out on the couch and monitors the movements of the big boys. Even when we had church 2:30pm last year, we had it in the morning before lunch. I gotta tell you, 8:30 church this year sounds awfully early, but it is heaven. Home by 12, lunch done by 12:30, and then straight upstairs for an hour and peace rest. I actually took a 2 1/2 hour nap today.

Anyone else have an hour of peace and rest on Sundays?

8 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oooooo! I like this idea. I need to find a way to institute this in our family. As we speak my babies are screaming and fighting. Ugh. Day of rest my elbow!

Christie said...

Not yet. Couldn't do it for the longest time because I didn't have a husband on Sundays. We have church at a kind of awkward time right now, though. 11-2 means we come home starving and by the time we've eaten it's not really a good thing to fall asleep because naps that end at dinnertime lead to late nights.

Ashley said...

We were doing it for a while at the beginning of the year and I don't know what happened - but we need to get back into the habit. We have 20-30 minute quiet times almost everyday during the week. The kids usually need a break from each other and I need a break from them! I'm trying to stop taking naps on Sundays because then I always stay up too late and then I start my week off being really grumpy.

Ashley said...

And I gotta say - everytime i see a picture with your new couch I get excited to see it in person next month. It looks comfy!

Charlotte Uke Jam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Audra said...

I love my Sunday naps, but Church is 1-4, so it is near impossible to get a good one in. Levi still lets me sneak away for a nap, but the kids usually go outside to play so I do not get to sleep long or well. I love a good long nap. I NEED a good long nap!

Em said...

love it. must copy when napping ends. oh i hope napping never ends...lol

kj said...

We call ours Sunday Siesta, but I like the "hour of peace and rest" more. Makes it seem a lot more righteous.