Monday, August 16, 2010

Runaway Katie

I told you that we cancelled our satellite. What I didn't tell you is that I still watch plenty of TV, on our old tube TV in our room. Somewhat forced watching - while I am putting my almost two year old to sleep every day (I know, I know) or trying to doze off myself. We have been streaming Netflix through our Wii and have plenty of movies and TV shows of our own to choose from when that isn't enough. BUT. I am really getting tired of it. Like I want to poke my eyes out. I think that it is partly because it is the end of summer and our lawn is dead and our kids are a little screwy, so I want to poke my eyes out, period, but anyway, I am a little sick of it all.

Tonight I watched most of Runaway Bride. I have seen it half a dozen times, and yes, I know it is silly and, well, just silly, but that movie appeals to me, and tonight it was just scrumptious. Not for Julia or Richard, oh no...but for small-town Maryland in the fall. The bright blue skies, the crunchy corn stalks, the sweaters..you can just feel the crispness in the air watching it. Don't even get me started about the quaint town square and the old-time hardware store across the street from the curl salon where your best friend can be found at all times.

I know, it is a movie, and I love Target and a city full of opportunities for my financially-minded husband, but still...I am sweaty and I sometimes I get really sick of driving 4 minutes past half-dead lawns and mini-trees just to leave my neighborhood.

There is nothing Ingleside-ish about it.

Do I sound a little grumpy? Okay, fine. But I just looked up where that movie was filmed to see if it was even in Maryland, and not only is it, they used the real Main Street, and it is also where Tuck Everlasting was filmed. Freak. Current population? 3,000.

Conclusion?

I need to stop watching so much TV and just poke my eyes out instead.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Dude, in Fayette the town square is totally like that. The court house is the the center with all the little shops around it. Not quite as quaint, but pretty close. You totally need to come visit :)

Olivia Carter said...

Oh I'm SO WITH YOU. I love to have my stuff close and teenagers in small towns worry me. But I'd LOVE to live in a small town- plus that town is Maryland. I miss that place more than anything.

I'm also a fan of "StarsHallow" in Gilmore Girls. :)

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

I'm so ready for fall!!!! And then I think about the weather in Blythe.....

Lindsay Jane said...

The conclusion is that you should move to Maryland. I know I would if A) my family wasn't there (we're a little dysfunctional) and B) my job was there.

Audra said...

I love the mountains... but like Olivia... teenagers in small towns worry me too. Bored Teenagers = Lots of Trouble. But when I visit the mountains, oh I long to be there all the time. Then I think about the winter ;) and chewing tobacco and the 30 min drive to Food Lion and the 1 hour bus drive to the elementary school.

James said...

Some small towns, all the teenagers are busy with 4H and being in every sport and extracurricular activity at school. Depends on the town.

Now the teenagers in Pyote were a whole other story, but we had a razor wire fence around them...

Em said...

Oct 1st or bust!!!