Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Did you know? I like Masaman

I was at Harris Teeter the other day. For those of you who aren't from around here, I know it sounds funny, but it is just a grocery store. I haven't really gone there since I quit couponing because it's, you know, nice. Dim lighting, olive bar, people bagging your groceries for you - all that fancy stuff. Anyway, I had to check out the Asian food section, since my usual store is somewhat lacking in that department (okay, they don't even have soy sauce!).

I was excited to see this new Masaman Curry from World Foods. We have tried have a dozen different masamans and masaman pastes, never homemade because I simply cannot buy the right spices for it, but I have never seen this version. Had to buy it. We tried it tonight and it did not disappoint. It wasn't the least bit spicy but some of the flavors were quite pungent, so Colin, who normally likes masaman, wasn't too pleased, but Chad and I were. We just let the kids go crazy with the pad thai and now we still have leftover curry. Boo-yah! So if you ever happen to see this stuff at your fancy grocery store, give it a try.

6 comments:

lindsey said...

I'd be quite jealous except last night Seth made a delicious butternut cream sauce over tortenellis and tonight he is going to make butternut curry soup. I should look up how to make masaman. Considering we have 2 Asian markets within 15 miles I am sure we can find the ingredients (maybe I'll buy you a set)

Ashley said...

Haha, I like how you consider it a fancy store. I feel out of place in those stores - especially when I have all of the kids with me!

What do you put that sauce on? I have never had any kind of Thai (right?) food. Maybe you should make it for me next time we are there. :)

lindsey said...

Ash, you just put it over rice (with chicken and potatoes or carrots depending on what you like).. Masaman and Pad thai are my favorites, but I haven't had much thai food I don't like (and I am picky)

lindsey said...

PS I looked up a recipe and discovered that most call for fish sauce (which we actually have) I can't believe I like something with fish sauce in it! One ingredient down.. now to find curry paste and a few others... If only i could read the labels at the asian market...

Katie said...

Lindsey - I have made it a few times, in the past, with fish sauce and curry paste, but I am talkin' about totally from scratch...like making the curry paste myself. To tell the truth, even if I could find the ingredients I would probably still be too lazy :o)

Ashley - I will definitely make it for you! I love it best over basamati (sp) rice, which is sold in the huge brown bags at costco and Sam's Club, and I love chicken and potatoes in in, and cashews added at the end. Yum.

Oh, and Lindsey,that butternut cream sauce sounds soooo good.

lindsey said...

the cream sauce is actually super easy to make. cook squash (or pumpkin makes it even better) blend it in with cream and milk until you get the texture and consistancy you want and then add garlic and salt to taste. Very simple very good.