Friday, December 10, 2010

Cooking with Colin

Colin was complaining about the after-school boredoms the other day while I was cleaning the kitchen, so I had a brilliant idea. I asked him if he wanted to make taco soup for dinner. He quickly said "yes" and, following my instructions, cooked the whole meal by himself. He did a great job! I am going to have to have him help me out more in the future.

In case you don't know this easy-enough-for-a-7-year-old taco soup recipe (that is sooo satisfying on a cold and lazy day), here it is:





Taco Soup

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef or turkey (we often use turkey)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 small can tomato sauce
1 package taco seasoning


Brown the meat in a big pot. Drain. Add all other ingredients, plus a can or two of water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a low simmer. Simmer for however long you desire.

You could also add the browned meat and other ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low if you want.

Serve taco soup garnished with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, diced onions, or whatever your heart desires. Or, if you are like Chad, garnish your chips with taco soup ;o)


8 comments:

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

yummy...my favorite!

Christie said...

Yay for teaching boys to cook! Many are the times I've wished my MIL did!

Gaynelle said...

What a great idea! The key to that whole story was the willing "yes." I may just have to give it a try.

Katie said...

Yes indeed Gaynelle. I don't know how often it will repeat itself because it all depends on the mood of a boy - not something to be counted on!

Ashley said...

I've been wondering if Rae is ready to help more in the kitchen. I think I might start her off with top ramen, since she is always asking for it.

Mmmmm, taco soup sounds perfect right now - even though it's breakfast time! :) I replace the corn with black beans and last I've heard of people adding a packet of ranch dip mix and I want to try that next time.

Cat said...

Yea for Colin...and yea for you to not have to fix dinner! : )

I need to get Maya in the kitchen more just so she isn't as unprepared as I was when I grew up! Matt cooked for the first 7 years of our marriage. What a yummy recipe and perhaps a good start for Maya too!

Em said...

I covet.

Audra said...

I need to do that more. I think the reason I resist it is because I know if I let one help, they ALL want to help. Maybe I should give them each a night of the week to help with dinner!