Monday, January 10, 2011

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Date: Cabo Fish Taco

Since we heard that Cabo Fish Taco was on Triple D, Chad and I have been dying to go. Good Baja-style Mexican in Charlotte is a rarity, and it also happens to be the one of our favorite types of food. However, Cabo Fish Taco is a good half hour drive from our house, so we just never took the time to go. We finally went there for a date over Christmas break, and we were not disappointed.

Well, I take that back. We were disappointed with their chips and corn salsa. Fresh tortilla chips can be one of my favorite things in the world, and these were hit and miss, all in the same basket. The corn salsa was tasty by itself, but on corn tortilla chips? Just wasn't quite right.

Chad got the BBQ Mahi Tacos - "Grilled mango BBQ Mahi-Mahi tacos stuffed with Cabo slaw, tomato, avocado, mixed cheeses & finished with our cilantro white sauce." Oh my. A lot of different flavors were stuffed into those tacos, and the pay-off is a taco unlike any taco you will ever have. And can I just tell you that the tortillas were the most perfect I have had in North Carolina? Here is a clip from Triple D about these very tacos.





I ordered the beer-battered shrimp tacos. My tacos were much simpler in taste, but the taste and textures together were perfection. The shrimp were cooked perfectly, and the batter had just the right crisp to it. There was a lot less going on, but I they were still just as delicious as Chad's. By the way, we each had one of each of the tacos - one more thing I love about my husband is eagerness to try new food right along with me, and we almost always trade plates half-way through.

The sides were pretty mediocre, but it it really didn't matter. If those tacos were good enought to make me forgive the chips, I can certainly forgive the sides.

Chad and I haven't been this excited about a new restaurant find in a long time. We have talked about it over and over again since going and even though it is half an hour away and we have no coupons for it, we will be back. SOON.

Cabo Fish Taco, located in the NoDa neighborhood.

Also forgiven? The hipster-doofus neighborhood. Tell me where the phrase "hipster-doofus" comes from and you get some brownie points from me.

16 comments:

Bubb Rubb said...

You should have started with the last paragraph.

Half hour drive + no coupons and you still want to go back = huge thumbs up from the Coleman's.

The Harts said...

Katie! We are huge Triple D fans and LOVED trying this place out! I got the tuna tacos and they were an explosion of flavor.. SO GOOD! I would recommend them over anything!! I am a chips n' salsa junkie so I was definitely disappointed in that, BUT the food was amazing!!

Ashley said...

Wow, no coupons. That must be some tasty food! I wonder if we took pics of ourselves with our bellies if Roy could photoshop it to look like we are standing by each other. I think I am bigger.

Christie said...

Those REALLY look good. My husband is one of the least adventurous food people I know. If we were to go somewhere like that he would be scouring the menu for chicken nuggets. Seriously.

Olivia Carter said...

Hipster Doufus... I can't be sure its the first mention of it but I do know the girl they give a defective wheelchair to breaks up with Kramer because he's a "hipster doupufs".

And that food sounds AMAZING! Oh man, I'm like CRAVING it right now... Yum...

lindsey said...

For a person who doesn't usually like fish I can appreciate a good fish taco. Here we have rubios where they have a garlic herb and bacon shrimp taco that is to die for... flavorful shrimp, cheese bacon alvacado and a spicy cream sauce. I have to say the best fish taco I ever had was in Ensenada Mexico for our honeymoon where we watched the fish come in from the boat, filleted and dipped in batter. heavenly!

Jamie said...

That sounds like a cool place. I am not a big seafood person but those shrimp tacos look really good! Trying new places can be fun. Aaron and I have been trying out a few around our area. I will have to blog about it sometime.

Em said...

I am now hungry. Why does this happen at 9:15pm??

Jenny said...

Super like. Great place with great food indeed. Thanks for recommending. By the way, if you like something new and exciting to the taste, try some of the best dishes from different restaurants just near you. Thanks and happy eating!

Ashley said...

Christie - I do believe James might be more picky and less adventurous that Roy! Roy is particular about the way his food is made, but he'll eat just about anything unless it has too many veggies in it. But he says fish doesn't belong in a taco because fish doesn't belong with cheese and tacos should be at least 40% cheese :)

Katie said...

Filet-o-Fish, proof that fish and cheese belong together

Ashley said...

Roy loves the filet-o-fish, but he gets it without cheese.

Katie said...

Correct answer Olivia! Chad and I have always used that phrase and I didn't realize that is where is is from until Chad told me.

Audra said...

You are making me SO HUNGRY!

Christie said...

Ashley- he doesn't do seafood at all, but is just fine with veggies...I guess I'd rather have it that way.

humtv said...

Diners Drive Ins and Dives (DDD, The Triple D) are a United State American food television series show. The host of this show “Diners, Drive Ins and Dives” is Guy Fieri.