Friday, March 18, 2011

Hanging Out

There is a full moon tomorrow night. A "Super" full moon. I will be 38 weeks pregnant, but this time, I won't be hoping for any gravitational pull to put me in labor. I will be laying on a board that has been propped up against my couch, upside down, probably reading or watching/listening to the Gilmore Girls.

What? How do you spend your Saturday nights?

I found out on Tuesday that in between weeks 36 and 37, my baby turned breech on me. Total shock. I knew her movements had changed a great deal, but I figured it was just because she was growing and had less room. Turns out it is because her head is in my ribs and her feet are caressing my cervix.

What I have tried so far to "flip" her:

The breech tilt

The forward leaning inversion (shown later on the page)

Sticking an ice pack on her head while sitting in a warm bath (to try to encourage her down towards the warmth)

Having a chiropractor perform the Webster technique (twice so far)

Obviously nothing has worked so far. I cried when my midwife checked today and gave me the news and it wasn't until my Saffron date with Chad that my mood melted away. I've been rocking back and forth between obsessiveness and calm the last few days.

On the one hand, I know that I want to try everything I can to avoid a c-section. I know it wouldn't be the end of the world to have one, but I know that recovery is much more difficult, and if there are things I can try to avoid one, I should (and I want to). On the other hand, I could try as hard as possible and she could never flip, and the later I get in this pregnancy, the less likely it is to happen. And I need to have a life (and sleep). Maybe that sounds dramatic, but my chiropractor has mentioned me going in every day. With almost an hour drive to get there, plus the time it takes to get it done.....I really really don't have that much time my average day for something that may or may not work. And I can't be waking up at 3:30 every morning, obsessing over whether I am doing enough, and then snapping at my kids all day.

So I am trying to take it day by day, praying that I will be guided to do the things I need to do to keep my baby safe, one way or another. I keep telling myself that, one way or another, she will be here in a couple of weeks, and I will be happy and grateful for that whether I have had an incision or not.

7 comments:

Gaynelle said...

So sorry you have to struggle with this now. Whatever happens you will have a beautiful baby and you are a great mom. Even if you snap at your kids.

Ashley said...

I think the most uncomfortable sounding of the things you are doing is the ice pack on your tummy in the bath! Brrrr! Patience said they do breech deliveries at the farm - it's only 7 hours from you ;)

Autumn said...

My sister went through this with her first baby!! It was quite a puzzling time since she had researched and planned on a home birth. She even prepared for a breech home birth when he didn't turn by 39 weeks but ended up having a c-section at 41 weeks since once her water broke her labor didn't progress. She was quite frustrated but comforted that her baby was healthy in the end. Good luck with everything!

Christie said...

I know a doctor in Denton who does breech deliveries, too. If she doesn't turn I'll hook you up with all the VBAC resources next time around. Sure hope she turns for you, though. Will your doctor let you do a trial of labor? It's not uncommon for them to turn during labor. Jeb did a big turn one week before he was born (I'll never forget because it was during Sacrament Meeting, lol)

Katie said...

Christie - we have gotten in contact with a doctor about 40 minutes away who will do breech deliveries. If she hasn't turned by tomorrow, I will go see her and we will see if the baby is footling or frank. My midwife can't deliver me if she is breech, at the birthing center - she said if I lived in SC she could come to be home and do it - but she is no huge hurry about getting me to the hospital if I go into labor and she hasn't turned. Even if I am planning a c-section, she would like me to go into labor first to see what happens.

Christie said...

That's great! Sounds like you're really getting your ducks lined up and that's the best way to be happy with whatever happens.

Em said...

Way to be positive, but dang ain't that the pits! So glad she flipped:)