Monday, April 4, 2011

Colin's Birthday

Our Colin turned 8 last weekend. Can you believe it? It seems like he was just starting kindergarten. Of all the milestones in my life this year - turning 30, celebrating 10 years of marriage, having a fourth child - this one makes me feel the oldest, the most serious. A child turning eight, which we believe is the age of accountability. It makes me examine my life in a way that the other milestones don't quite. If my life isn't what I want it to be now, when will it be? Am I creating the home that I want to? Am I teaching my kids the things that I feel are most important? Where are my priorities?

To Colin, of course, the day was about fun. I wasn't up to doing a big birthday party for him, so we tried to keep it simple, but he ended up getting a lot of little celebrations anyway. We brought cupcakes for his class on Thursday, since there was no school on Friday. On Friday Chad took him bowling with Gabe, his cousins Santiago and Evan, and his good friend Maya. On Saturday he had an ice cream party for piano in the morning, and from there he went straight to soccer, where he also brought cupcakes. Then when he got home, Granny stopped by and took him shopping for a birthday gift. By the time he blew out his candles that night, he didn't even feel like eating his cake, he had been partying so hard. So despite keeping it simple, he declared it to be, "like, the best birthday ever."


6 comments:

The Husband said...

Roy got a helicopter like that for Christmas - it's so cool! I'm glad he had a good birthday!

I feel the same way about Rae getting older. I can no longer slack on the important things like family scripture study and FHE - this is a real kid now, not just a toddler! :)

Ashley said...

Seriously hate the way blogger doesn't show you who you are logged in as.

Olivia Carter said...

Oh man, looks like a great day! And I LOVE THE HELICOPTER. I can't believe he's that old!

Ashley said...

Whoa, you guys have an air hockey table now?? Rae is gonna LOVE that!

Christie said...

Elizabeth is constantly talking about turning 8 so she can be baptized. Well, that and turning 16 so she can drive the van.
It'll definitely make me feel old, especially since I actually will be old :)

Em said...

your comment on my blog was so true!!! i hate the idea of someone else raising them for a week too, but mainly the what if something happens to me thing. so weird.