Friday, April 22, 2011

North Carolina Zoo - Happy Earth Day!

This week has been Colin's spring break. It has been so nice to have Chad home for it. Last year he was out of town for work during it, and I had pneumonia, so this week has been heaven compared to that!

We took a little trip on Monday to Asheboro to the zoo. It has been three and a half years since we went to that zoo, so the kids didn't really remember it very well. The zoo is quite nice - very natural, with lots of room for all the animals. However, that means a ton of walking. I was quite tuckered out by the end of the day. Some of the highlights: the otters, the bird that followed us in the aviary (Gabe is really into birds right now so he was delighted), the funny baboons, and the perrrrfect weather. The boys were happy almost the whole time, and Carina was so cooperative, sleeping in the stroller most of the time.

After wearing outselves out at the zoo, we went to our hotel. Even though it is short trip to Asheboro, we decided to take advantage of Chad's hotel points and got a room for the night to make it more of an outing. We went to Golden Corral for dinner. It has been years since I have been to one, and I have to say, the best part is having so many dessert options. I must have tried about 10 different desserts. The kids had a really good time too. They think buffets are the coolest thing. I thought of my niece as I watched Ollie eat a bowl of gummy bears with a spoon. After we got back to the hotel Chad took the kids for a swim. We got up in the morning, took full advantage of the free breakfast, and then Chad took the kids for another swim and we headed home. It was a great little getaway.







The ostrich made a quick move as I was taking this picture, freaking Ollie out.






Sometime in the future, I hope to have more entertaining blog posts-not just updates with pictures- but for now, this will have to do!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

We looooovvve Golden Corral. I usually just give Isaac a big bowl of candy for dessert. Also loooovvvee free hotel breakfasts!

I wish our spring break was in April instead of March so that we could have nicer weather for it. Oh well, Roy will be done with work in 2 weeks anyway, so we'll just enjoy the May and June weather!

lindsey said...

Looks like a fun trip. We get spoiled by trips to the oo often. Most of our friends have season passes and offer to take us as their guests, but it is not my favorite zoo.
I haven't been to Golden Corral since I was a kid... Seth worked at one in HS and it was really gross so he can't bring himself to eat at another one. Every time I see Carina it makes me excited to meet my own little one. She is just too cute.

Olivia Carter said...

Aw, looks like SO MUCH FUN!

Golden Corral makes me think of Nana and Papa. I just went for a book blogger thing a couple months ago and I was like, "Man, oh man, why don't I do this more often!"