Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sabina

There are many things I admire about my sister-in-law Sabina, but one of the things that I most admire is how much she has kept learning and growing as an adult.  She came to the United States a little over 11 years ago knowing bits and pieces of English.  She is now not only completely fluent, she is going to school to become a nurse.  When I think of going back to school, it seems daunting enough, but I can’t imagine doing it in a language that I didn’t grow up with.  Sabina has worked very hard to get to this point, and on Wednesday she had celebrated another accomplishment:

She became a citizen of the United States. 

When I was growing up we have celebrated friends of our family with a nice “heart attack” but I has been awhile she I have participated in one.  My mom coordinated one for Sabina yesterday. 

IMGP7971

The hearts were mostly made my her nieces and nephews and were delightful to see.

IMGP7973IMGP7977 

My favorite was made by my nephew Nolan, who came up with the design completely on his own, even researching the Argentine flag online.

IMGP7974   If you know Sabina, you know her deep love for her native country, Argentina, and for her family who still lives there.  I thought Nolan captured the day perfectly.  We love you Sabina, and the United States and our family are both lucky to have you as a part of us.

11 comments:

James said...

Awesome! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo...Congrats to her!
Dawn and family

stacie said...

How blessed we all are that she chose to come here. The world is so much better because she is in it!!!

Christie said...

Wow! Congratuations, Sabina!

Jamie said...

Congratulations Sabina!

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

This is a great story. We all love Sabina and are so proud of her and her hard work. I know how much she loves Argentina and to become a US Citizen is a big step but very awesome. Congratulations Sabina. And nice job with the heart attack.

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

The swearing in ceremony was nice. We got some good pictures. Congratulatons Sabina. I have to ask her one question. Does this mean you have to cheer for the USA soccer team? Fat chance!

Ashley said...

That's awesome that she is a citizen now! Roy's sister has been in the US for 30 years and isn't even a citizen yet! Congrats Sabina!

And I love the heart-attack. Mom is always so thoughtful and fun.

lindsey said...

congratulations Sabina:) I love the heart attack. I haven't done one in years...

Audra said...

HOORAY SABINA! Congrats!

Em said...

Exciting news!