Friday, July 1, 2011

Blackberries in my own backyard

IMGP8319-1

The sun was setting, my kids were asleep, and so were all our backyard pests.  I ventured out onto the cooling lawn to see how many blackberries had ripened since my last trip out there.  It had been a few days, so there were handfuls of juicy berries ready to fall off the bush. 

After just a few minutes I had a whole bowlful, and I looked down at all that pleasant plumpness.  I thought about my kids  eating them all tomorrow- how the image of sticky purple fingers would probably pop into their minds for years when they heard the word “summer.”  How these blackberries were their cantaloupes.

And that made me smile all night long.

1 comment:

Em said...

my strawberries never grew this year. although all of my neighbors have been telling me that even if they did the magpies would have gotten them anyway. still, i wish they would have grown.