Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Oliver starts preschool…and more

 

So, let’s see if I can catch you up on what has been going on around here in the month of September.  Oliver started preschool last week.  Like I did with the other two boys, it is a mom’s group – we all take turns teaching at our house.  I taught last week and Oliver was a model student.  I never started the other two this young, but Oliver has really wanted to go to school for awhile now, and he loves being around other kids.

IMGP9453 He is about the cutest kid in the world, isn’t he?  I took this picture on Monday. 

On Tuesday evening after dinner, I heard some horrible screams coming from outside, where the kids were playing.  You know those screams where you can immediately tell one of your kids is hurt, and hurt badly? Colin came running inside with Oliver, and as soon as I saw Ollie, my stomach dopped. 

 

IMGP9470

I don’t think this picture comes close to capturing how swollen up he was.  Colin was in the backyard throwing a ball up into the air and swinging at it (with one of Chad’s bats)  and didn’t hear Oliver walk up behind him.  Ouch.  I felt so bad for the tiny little guy.  He was perfectly coherent and with it, and didn’t even cry after the first half hour or so, but he wouldn’t let us put ice on it or anything.  We let him stay up a few hours so we could be sure he was okay, but he hasn’t even complained about it since then.  I was pretty ticked off at Colin.  He a typical, implusive eight year old boy and sometimes….I get very frustrated - especially since he actually gave one of his friends a black eye with a bat a couple of years ago.  All serious bats have been put away again. I think I have been mad at him mostly because I feel like a really bad mom every time I look at my little boy.

Here he is on Thursday, and on Friday.  It really had a lot of color to it – it just started fading a lot today.

IMGP9553IMGP9575

13 comments:

Em said...

Poor little dude!

Christie said...

Ouch! I actually knew a mom in my online group whose daughter swung and got her little brother in the chest with a baseball bat and he died.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Um, probably not what I want to hear Christie!

Sharon said...

Wow, that's quite a shiner! He's still a cutie. Are you doing "Joy School" with him or another program? Lisa and I are thinking about starting a "Joy School" group.

Katie said...

Sharon - We just use this book.....http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Resource-Book-Preschoolers-Curriculum/dp/0876591950/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1316571347&sr=8-5

and follow a pretty basic schedule that includes a few activities/crafts, playtime, snacktime, singing, and books.

I remember doing Joy School when I was a girl! I think they used it a couple of years ago - the only year I didn't have a boy in the group.

lindsey said...

Wow, poor boy.. that is quite the shiner. I hurts my heart any time I seen a bruise on one of my kids I can't imagine how sad that made you! Either way Ollie is adorable. I still can't believe he's old enough to be in joy school, then again I can't believe I have a kid old enough to be in the primary program this year!

lindsey said...

I wish I could find some women willing to do joy school... I asked several and no one was interested.

Christie said...

Someone was trying to start up a Joy School group in our area. Too pricey for my taste, lol. We have a happy little group that just follows a basic format and we fill it in with whatever Google leads us to that week :)

Christie said...

Ooooh...I do like that book, though, Katie.

Cat said...

When I saw Ollie out in the yard the other day I wondered if he'd tangled with a baseball bat. ; )

Merf said...

my stomach dropped just seeing the picture---cant imagine seeing it live! ouch....ouch ouch ouch.

kj said...

Katie, he is SO adorable. Can I have dibs on him for my Ivy? We are doing the same things at our house as you...Ivy started preschool - we're doing Joy School too and she recently got a shiner too. (Falling down at Walmart, though hers wasn't nearly as impressive as Oliver's. Poor guy!)