Saturday, February 25, 2012

Happy Birthday to me

IMGP5754

It’s my birthday today and it has been a good one.  For starters, I slept in until nine o’clock.  That may not sound very late to some of of you, but I couldn’t believe it when I opened my eyes and saw the clock.  I woke up briefly at 6 when Carina woke up, but as soon as Chad left the room with her I shut my eyes and didn’t even stir until 9.  With four kids awake, it was a birthday miracle. 

The rest of my day was just as pleasant and relaxing.  Chad and I got a leisurely lunch date.  Carina took 2 naps – something she hasn’t done in a really long time. I got sweet notes from family members and Young Women in my ward, and very thoughtful gifts.  I didn’t cook or clean – in fact, Chad cleaned the house top to bottom last night and did all the laundry.  He also made lemon blueberry cupcakes from scratch and is currently putting Carina to sleep.  When he gets downstairs we are going to watch Downton Abbey (for the first time – I know, I am so behind!).

I think that sometimes when you have a baby who is, say…..11 months old, you forget to go easy on yourself still.  When I have a newborn in the house, I cut myself a break, but with an older baby I don’t grant myself the same immunity. Why can’t I think more clearly, be more organized, get more done, eat better, have more patience?  Why am I so sleepy that I can lay down on the playroom floor and actually doze off?!  Oh yeah, I still have a baby – one that only naps for an hour every day and doesn’t want to be more than a foot away from the rest of the day. 

Today was exactly what I needed  - a day of rejuvenation and relaxation – a day to go easy on myself and know that I am appreciated.

IMGP5750

7 comments:

Bubb Rubb said...

Happy birthday Katie! Glad you slacker husband is treating you right.

Gaynelle said...

Happy birthday Katie. It sounds like you had a fantastic day relaxing and taking it easy.

Azúcar said...

AND I love that your blog's name is Ingleside and that your URL has Rilla in it. Maybe we're just meant to be fast friends.

Christie said...

That sounds like an AMAZING birthday!

Em said...

bliss!!! happy happy!

Katie said...

THIS IS CHAD - I know it's early in the year, but I am a serious contender for husband of the year. On top of the items listed, I also suffered through 4 episodes (About 3 hours) of "Downton Abbey". For those of you not familiar with it, there are "suitors", "courtships", "Dukes", and "Duchesses" - All done with a British accent. How is that not front-page "Drudgereport" material? "Husband clings to self-worth after watching British turn of the century drama".

I did think it was hilarious that this morning, Katie's highlight from her birthday was Azucar posting on her blog - "That just made my birthday" was the direct quote - lovely...

lindsey said...

That sounds like a wonderful birthday. I can't believe carina is almost a year. She looks so grown up. Ps I love her shoes :) glad to see you they are getting some use.