Thursday, March 22, 2012

Family Update: Colin

IMGP6603

Colin will be nine soon (gulp).  We are finishing up his requirements to earn his Wolf.  In this picture he is very happy because he just cooked a meal outdoors – hotdogs, corn on the cob, and baked beans (from scratch – very yummy).  We made campfire cones for dessert – thank you Pinterest.  As I write this, I am reminded of this meal that he also chose.  We haven’t been eating meat in our house since last summer, so he was pretty excited that I let him chose what he wanted.  He did such a great job cooking and showed a lot of patience.

That same day, Colin brought home a completed art project, depicting his likes:

IMGP6610

Xbox, Rocky Road ice cream, goalkeeping, and the TV show Good Luck Charlie (have you seen it?  it actually makes me laugh). 

Some of my favorite times with Colin are driving  the 20 minutes to and from mutual/cub scouts every Wednesday.  When it is just the two of us, he talks my ear off, mostly about whatever he is learning in school.  He loves to talk about math problems.  I love the fact that he has not  just memorized a certain set of rules, but has incredibly unique ways of coming up with the correct answers on his own.  His mind is much quicker than mine every single time. When we have other passengers, I like to see how he interacts with them.  I have been known to eavesdrop on him while he gossips with his cousins.  Every once in awhile I will accidently let a chuckle out and they will burst out with a “WHAT?!”

He still sometimes holds my hand in public, but he also rolls his eyes at me when I nag him, like a moody teenager.  Just picturing that eye-rolls makes me shudder. 

Colin seems to be the happiest when he embraces his oldest child status – when he goes upstairs to get Carina in the morning when he hears her wake up, when he makes Oliver an airplane when I am too busy to, when he teaches a FHE lesson, when he looks around tries to find a way to help. 

Colin seems to be the unhappiest when he is no mood to be responsible – when he feels like just doing what he wants to do and I have to remind him to do what he should, when he doesn’t feel like making sacrifices or showing discipline.

I can relate, I must admit.

We love that kid, yes we do.

2 comments:

Chad Coleman said...

I disagree with this - Colin is a total stink!!!

Katie said...

bad daddy!