Friday, March 30, 2012

Family Update: Me

IMGP5769

My mantra lately has been:

A sacrifice is giving up something good for something better.

(I am sure my brothers and sisters recognize that phrase.  Our mom used it all the time when we were growing up.  Anyone want to find the source for me?)

I repeat it to myself when I am making decisions for myself and my family and really clears my head.

So here is what I am up to-

About seven months ago, after being inspired to read The China Study, I stopped cooking meat for my family.  We became at-home- (and work and school) vegetarians. When we eat out or at other people’s houses, I don’t really care, because I know that we are eating very well the rest of the time.  For the last four weeks we have been going mostly whole-foods vegan (no animal products – cheese, eggs, milk and no added oil).  It is all for health reasons (and more than just getting skinnier).  I haven’t really talked about it on my blog and my family members slowly found out one by one.  Not because I am ashamed or embarrassed, but because I wanted to try it on and walk around in it before DECLARING it to the world.   It fits really well, and Chad has happy with it, and my kids are adjusting, so there you go…we are mostly vegans these days. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.  This has meant I have completely revamped all my cooking of course, and have tried out many many new recipes.  It has been a lot of work, but totally worth it.  So when I see all those yummy recipes on pinterest and I think, “I just don’t know if I want to give that food up” I remind myself of my mantra.

I have also been exercising, hard, about five times a week.  Again, my mantra.

I have been working as the Young Women’s second counselor.  I had no idea how much work my leaders always did for me as a teenager, or how much they thought/prayed/talked about me.   I had only been in Primary off and on for most of my marriage so this is all a new experience.

Since last October I have been working hard to become a better photographer.  This is something I feel very sheepish  talking about.  Every time I do a photo shoot, I go through through a rollercoaster of emotions –elation, depression, insecurity, embarrassment……You can ask Chad, it is every single time.  This is is the first time in years that I have done something creative and put my work out there in such a public way, and I hate doing it while I know that I have lots of room for improvement .  It is hard, but I also know that those feelings are all feelings of pride that I need to let go, and that the only way I am going to improve is by taking pictures, and taking lots of them, and then working as hard as I can to improve.

And as always, I try (almost) every day to be a better wife and mother.

I hope this post doesn’t sound braggy, because I could give you a huge list of all the areas I am failing in….but I am not going to do that. 

The thing that I have been striving hardest towards is to be tuned into what my Heavenly Father wants me to do and be.  Above all, I want to be His tool here on earth.  It is easy to get distracted by all of the good ways I could be spending my time and attention. It is easy to look at things that other women I admire are doing and think that I should be doing those same things.  It is easy to let my physical weaknesses stop me from making the most of my days. It is easy to get caught up in what the world thinks perfection is, rather than working to be more Christ-like.  I know though, that I am a daughter of God, and He knows me and has work for me to do.  If I stay in touch with Him every single day, the things I will be led to do will matter so much more, and be so  much more successful, than the things I would do on my own. 

I can give up a lot of good things if it means obtaining all He has in store for me.

6 comments:

Merf said...

leah's husband, Joe, has gone vegetarian---add to that the gluten-free household they already live in---he is doing it for the health benefits and has the same attitude---if he is at someones home that is serving meat---he will probably not eat the meat---but if he wants a bite of turkey or fish---he will take it....he's never been one for fast food---crazy.

Olivia Carter said...

What a lovely post- as always!

I'm actually in a similar boat. Starting on Monday I'm trying a diet specifically for my ADD. I'm hesitant to talk about it/blog about it- the diet & the ADD because people are always like, "Yeah, I totally have ADD too" and I want to be like, "really does it debilitate you & affect your relationships and life?" Anyway, that's a rant for another day.

But anyway, I'm not pregnant anymore & can take my ADD medicine however, even though the doctor said it's okay, I'm hesitant to take a stimulant when nursing. So, I thought I'd try this diet that's supposed to help people with ADD (mostly kids and ADHD but I'm all for trying anything at this point).

But it requires cutting out pretty much everything then adding it back in slowly and totally cutting out anything with preservatives. They recommend people with ADD not do a vegetarian diet because they do much better with a large increase in their protein intake.

Anyway, the point of this mammoth, rambling (ADD anyone?) comment was to say- I'll totally be checking your pinterst for recipes! Make sure you post up the good ones I'm in dire need of ideas!

lindsey said...

What kind of things do you eat? How do you get enough protein?

Ashley said...

I too am curious about what you eat. Can you give me an example of a day of meals?

Trying to follow that mantra as well. Hard, but definitely worth it in the end.

Christie said...

I wrote a long comment, but it appears to have run away :(

Ashley said...

OH, and I'm excited that you are working on your photography so much. How much will you charge us when we come in August??