Monday, April 23, 2012

Meatless Mondays–Quinoa Tacos

IMGP7374

This was our baby-steps recipe. It is easy to make and has familiar tastes and textures.  You can eat it as a main dish, side dish, or on tortillas. 

The first time we made it, on tortillas, we loaded sour cream, cheese and/or ranch on top.  Our kids ate it up without complaint and it was declared a “make again” recipe.

After four or five months, I stopped buying sour cream.

After a couple more months, I stopped buying cheese.

Now we all eat these tacos with lettuce, tomatoes, maybe olives or onions, salsa, but no cheese or sour cream.  It is still just as satisfying and well received.  It is also good as leftovers.  If you make this as tacos and you don’t care how naughty your tortillas are, try buying the uncooked ones and cook them in a hot pan with no oil.  Sooooo good.  If you do care, try corn tortillas or whole wheat ones, if you can manage to find some that don’t have a million ingredients.

So, here it is, from allrecipes.com, Quinoa and Black Beans

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil 
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa  - I buy our quinoa at Costco. 
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper – I put way less than this because I want Carina and Ollie to be able to eat it easily
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels – do use frozen instead of canned for a fresher taste
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
  2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
  3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Also, I don’t use the oil at the beginning anymore.  You can just put a little bit of water in instead. 

Oh, and did I mention that this recipe takes around a half hour to cook?  I think that is the best part. 

11 comments:

Gaynelle said...

That does look good. I love the non cooked tortillas. I get them all the time.

lindsey said...

do you ever cook with dried beans? I find them so much better (and healthier) than canned. much cheaper too... looks good. I wish our sams carried quinoa, it is so expensive.

lindsey said...

PS we had beans tonight that you would really like. they could easily be vegan. I will have to ask seth for steps to make them and I will share..

Ashley said...

Okay, I like how you explain how you did this in baby-steps. Because yeah, my kids would eat it with sour cream and cheese and it would take several times before they'd be willing to let go of those toppings :) So I'm happy to see that's how you did it.

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

Pick us up some quinoa the next time you are at Costco. It is a great recipe.

Christie said...

Costco just opened up here. Maybe we'll have to get a membership.

Katie said...

Christie - Sadly, I don't use our membership for much besides their quinoa and photo developing!

Lindsey - I have been wanting to start cooking dried beans! It's the whole thinking-ahead thing that gets to me.

Christie said...

Katie - Beans freeze well, so you only have to make them once to have them 3 or 4 times. I love things that I can "batch cook" like that.

lindsey said...

I like to cook dried beans about once a week and then use them all week. I know most beans say to soak overnight but we do not. Instead I rinse them sort out the bad ones and put them in boiling water in the crockpot with an onion. As long as the water is boiling they cook a lot faster and they are safe (kidney beans have to boil to be safe) they taste so much better and have a lot more nutrients. Seth even made his own hummus this week using dried beans.

Katie said...

Just used some dried chickpeas and froze some of them.

Birgit Blau said...

These look so delicious!