Monday, May 7, 2012

Meatless Mondays–Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki

 

IMGP7814

Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki with an Easy Pineapple Salsa

I made this recipe last week and my kids went crazy for it. I served the chickpeas over basmati brown rice with the salsa on top for Chad and I, and fresh pineapple on the side for the kids.  The next time I make it I think I will add a side of spring rolls.

I went just as crazy for this recipe because it is just about as easy as it gets.  THREE INGREDIENTS!  Teriyaki Sauce, chickpeas, and raw sugar, which I actually usually have around, but I was out, so I used brown sugar.  You can buy raw sugar at SprawlMart, FYI.  I also found thisVeri Veri Teriyaki sauce there, which is super yummy and has only ingredients you can pronounce.

IMGP7812

So here it is, from The Happy Herbivore:

  • 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed – I used dried beans that I had soaked and cooked – go ME!
  • 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1 tbsp Szechuan sauce or hot sauce (optional – I obviously didn’t use it)
  • 1 tbsp raw sugar (optional)
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice (or cooked greens)
  • pineapple and/or mango salsa – I just chopped up some red onion, cilantro and pineapple.  I think this really made the dish!

1. Combine chickpeas, teriyaki sauce, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in a large frying pan.

2. Allow to marinate for at least 5 minutes.

3. Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, until most of the liquid has absorbed, about 10 minutes.

4.  Spoon over cooked rice and top with salsa.

The next time I make this I think I might add a layer of steamed kale between the rice and chickpeas – and I will definitely be making it soon!

No comments: