Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Keepin’ It Real Wednesday

Last Monday, I tried a new plant- strong recipe – Red Lentil Dahl, served over brown rice.  Bursting with exotic flavors and loaded with nutrients, I was planning to take a picture and post it as a Meatless Monday recipe. 

I tasted it as it cooked.  One of the spices was completely overpowering (was it the whole tablespoon of coriander? probably),  but since the last step was to add in one more spice, I figured that star-of-a-spice was going to to balance everything out. 

I was wrong.  It was so awful that I couldn’t eat more than a few bites.  I will eat just about anything, so you can trust that it was just basically inedible. As Chad said, it tasted like gargling dishsoup. Dishsoap with lentils.  I can’t tell you how much I hate spending time on a pot of good, healthy food, and then tossing it in the trash. I heated up some chili beans to dump on top off our brown rice, and that was dinner.  Yes, rice and beans. Healthy, yes. Satisfying, no.

We had Family Home Evening later.  I taught the lesson, and Colin, who was in charge of the activity, decided to team up with Gabe, who was in charge of treat, for a very classy combination of the two:  a trip to the nearest gas station, which recently made the transition into a 7 Eleven.  The plan was for the boys to partake of their first-ever Slurpees.  By the way, the boys thought we were calling them Slurpees as a joke and would not believe that was their real name until they saw it written on the cup (maybe we tease too much?).  Everytime they said it, they laughed.  SLURPEES! So funny.

After they filled their cups with the icy sugar water, they saw the greasy hot dogs and corndogs spinning on their rollers, and droll started dripping from their chins.  I could almost hear their rice-and-bean-filled stomachs growling as they begged us for them.  I looked at Chad, who I was sure was feeling as hungry as me, and we caved.

Which is how it became  Meaty Monday.  Classy, sugary, Meaty Monday. YUM.

IMGP8912

3 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oh, I love it. Keepin' it real!

Ashley said...

Mmmm, I love me some gas station food! Dad raised us that way! Our favorite gas station is Quik Trip and they have some amazing taquitos and corn dogs. They also have awesome 69 cent sodas and "smoothies" (which are really just slurpees disguised as something "healthy") The kids always want to get lunch at QT!

Sorry your recipe didn't work out. Sometimes I find myself avoiding new recipes because I just hate to waste those ingredients! I made some chocolate zucchini muffins the other day that are edible, but not super tasty, and of course I had doubled the recipe!

Christie said...

LOL, going "out to eat" Jeppson style. How many AM/PM hamburgers did we eat growing up? I remember loading up on the relish and onions just so there would be some substance to it.
I spend so much time on my garden and enjoy it so much, but then I'm the only one who eats anything out of it...like the yummy recipe I'm making right now with eggplant, tomatoes, and squash from the garden. I'm always drooling over exotic recipes and the kids are happiest if we have Hamburger Helper, or even just plain noodles. And so is my husband *bangs head on wall.*