Tuesday, January 1, 2013

It’s a new year

We had a New Year’s Eve party at my house last night.  My sister was here with her family from Missouri (staying with my parents), and my brother Levi came down from the mountains with six of his kids on Sunday and stayed with us.  Yesterday my nieces Lettie and Ruby helped me get ready for the party.  We filled up seven balloons with slips of paper stuffed inside, and wrote “6:00,” “7:00,”  “8:00”…all the way til “12:00” on each balloon. Each slip of paper had an activity written on it for that hour, and each balloon was popped at the appointed time.

6:00 – Glow-in-the-dark hide-and-seek (played upstairs with glow necklaces for everyone).  This was a huge hit and they played for almost the whole hour.

7:00 – puzzles from Dollar Tree – again, the kids did this for almost an hour

8:00 – a fire outside.  Once it was lit, most of the men were out there for the rest of the night

9:00 – Just Dance

10:00 – Board games .  I got to play a rousing game of Apples to Apples Junior with a very emotional/sleepy Gabe.

11:00 a slideshow I had quickly prepared that day with a picture from the last year of everyone present (I think I missed Roy though, and myself)

12:00 We watched the ball drop and then all of the kids fell apart at the seams by 12:30

IMGP1486

It was such a fun night, with pizza provided by my Nana, and sooo much other junk food that we were still munching away all day today.  I think only three out of the 17 kids fell asleep early and for the most part they were so busy having fun all night long with their cousins.

I have some firm resolutions this year – very specific goals about very basic gospel principles I need to just buckle down and DO.  After a month of no blogging and feeling a nudge to return to blogging with more earnestness for a long while, I am ready to get serious about that as well.  My goal is to blog at least four times a week.  I find it hard to blog when I am need to be editing photos, but I don’t think I will have many  photos to edit in the month of January, so maybe I can get into a better habit while things are dead.

So friends and family, a totally unoriginal question for you – Have you made New Year’s resolutions?  Do you like the New Year or is it depressing for you?

3 comments:

Christie said...

Daily scripture reading and journal writing...those old habits I had "perfected" for SO many years, but have fallen by the wayside over the past few years. 2013 is going to be the year I master those habits once more, with the addition of some kind of scripture study (stories, the short Bible Videos app from the Church website) with the kids each night.

Christie said...

And I so wish we'd been at that party :(

Ashley said...

One of my goals is to just get better at teaching Sunday School. If I am preparing my lessons the way I'm supposed to, then things like prayer and scripture study will come naturally.

Also really want to get organized when it comes to our family's food storage and emergency preparedness. We have the basics, but they are not organized and I don't really know what to do with them!

I'd like to get back to blogging. But it is on that back burner for now. Maybe I'll at least do a monthly photo dump :)

Thanks for the awesome party. Roy has some pretty good pictures I'll have to share with you - I know you probably didn't get to take as many as you would have liked because you were so busy being an awesome hostess!