Monday, February 18, 2013

Meatless Monday–Salad Jars

If you are on Pinterest, you might have seen this link or one like it.  The basic idea is to layer a salad in a jar, with your salad dressing at the bottom, your more robust veggies towards the bottom, and your greens on top.  Since the greens don’t touch the salad, they stay good, and you can just dump the whole thing out onto a plate when you are ready to eat. 

That link was one of my very first “pins” over a year ago, and I just finally got around to trying it a couple of weeks ago.  Some of you saw this picture on Instagram:

IMG_3219

So let me tell you a little bit about my “salad jars"-

I made two different salads.  The ones on the left had the following ingredients in this order:

  • Cranberry –Orange dressing
  • Red bell peppers
  • Red Quinoa
  • Raisins
  • Peanuts
  • Zucchini
  • Mixed lettuce and spinach

Here is a picture of the salad on day five or so.  As you can see, it was very fresh still.  I did find that the quinoa slipped down into the dressing and absorbed a lot of it.  Just something to keep in mind if you use quinoa – you might to put it up closer to the lettuce so it won’t slip down.  The peppers sat in the dressing the whole time and they weren’t crisp when I ate them, but they just tasted kind of marinated.  I liked it.

IMGP4195

The second row had the following ingredients:

  • Sundried-Tomato Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • Yellow bell peppers
  • Mushrooms
  • Cannellini beans
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Lettuce greens

I think both Chad and I liked the second salad better.

I really loved these salad jars and I am definitely going to make them again.  It will be fun to try lots of different combinations – I think a southwest version with black beans, corn, salsa and cilantro will be good. 

They stayed surprisingly fresh too!  We made eight salads and ate the last one a week after it was made and it wasn’t slimy or icky at all.  I liked the way that these jars put the pressure on me (and Chad ;o) to eat our veggies.  It really doesn’t leave you with any excuses not to – all you have to do is dump it out. 

4 comments:

ladybezoar@gmail.com said...

Both sound tasty. I know we have done salads in a jar before and we loved them so much that we bought reusable plastic lids.

purplestarr said...

This looks really cool! And I have some red quinoa that I wasn't sure what to do with... will work great for this! :)

Bubb Rubb said...

Great idea. Looks like a science experiment while in a jar but turned out terrific on a plate.

Ashley said...

Thanks for the encouragement - I made two today and when I eat one for lunch tomorrow I will refill it - I only had two jars!