Wednesday, February 27, 2013

To the tips of my toes

IMG_3473

It was in the 40’s and drizzling.  Colin, Gabe and I stood shivering a little in warm coats and swimsuits.  Colin was not happy.

“It’s cold!”

“I know!! Can you believe we are going to jump in?!” I enthused back at him. “Do you still want to do it?”

When we first saw the information for the Polar Bear Plunge in our neighborhood newsletter, set for my “birthday weekend,” I told my family I was IN and went looking for recruits.  Chad was immediately OUT but Gabe and Colin thought an adventure with Mom sounded like fun.

And it was.   The cold water almost paralyzed Gabe and I had to guide him up the stairs and out of the pool as we all three rain to our towels and clothes.  We were so so cold as we dried off, but it felt good compared to the torture of those moments in the pool. Then we ate cookies and drank hot chocolate in front of the clubhouse fire with the rest of the participates and everyone clapped Gabe and Colin on the back for their bravery.  Ollie, who had watched from the sidelines with Carina and Chad, had the nerve to complain about being cold, and we three rolled our eyes collectively.

IMG_3474

An hour later when I finally got in the hot shower, my toes still stung when the warm water hit them.

It was one of the best memories of my birthday weekend, and Gabe and Colin have already promised to do it again next year.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

How fun! It is fun to doa few things that put you in the fun parent category instead of just boring ol mom

Christie said...

Cool! Don't know how I never saw this before.

Ashley said...

Yeah, I didn't see it for a while either.

Olivia Carter said...

Oh my goodness- that is SOOOO much fun! I mean, seriously, I would LOVE to do this and I'm so glad you're kids were down!

Cat said...

Maya wanted to do this so badly but we were out of town. She will gladly join you next year and I will gladly cheer you on from the side of the pool! :)