Saturday, April 27, 2013

12 Years, Fingerprints, Tacos, and a Tsunami

We had a terribly romantic anniversary. 

One of the many milestones in completing an international adoption is getting an I600a approval.  The I600a is an “Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition.”  We sent this application in a month ago, and like everything else, we want it to be approved as quickly as possible, so that we can move onto the next step.  Part of the approval hinges on the FBI clearing our fingerprints, which they already did once as a part of our home study (in addition to the state clearing them as a part of our dossier), but this one requires the the applicants to submit their fingerprints through an appointment at a special biometrics center. ( Ron Swanson would be fuming right about now)

Two weeks ago we got our appointment notification and it made me smile because it was only two weeks away (a lot of people wait longer) and it was scheduled for our anniversary.IMGP7815-001

With the help of my brother Bryce, who was babysitting Carina and Ollie, who were *mostly* recovered from a nasty stomach virus that has invaded our home this week, I met Chad at our appointment.  Chad had been sick two days previous to this,  but was feeling well enough to drag himself to work and on our anniversary date.  I managed to do my hair and makeup only by giving up on Carina taking a nap after three tries, and I bought a new outfit during my one time out of the house that week when I took Gabe to his soccer and then ran off to Target real quick and then ran back.  I didn’t even try it on until the next day at home.

(Oh wait, I did leave the house one other time in order to go to a church training meeting, so I guess I can’t complain)

Anyway, Chad said he was still feeling good after our appointment, so we continued our date at Paco’s Tacos, which we have been wanting to try for awhile.  Both of us love good tacos more than just about anything else.  I have to put in a few words about the food, because….well, we love tacos:  The chips were superb.  Very fresh, crisp, and plenty of salt.  I usually have to salt my tortilla chips at restaurants so this was big for me.  The salsa was also great.  I spooned some out onto my plate before Chad touched it because I did not want to take a chance of him double-dipping and possibly infecting the whole lot, and I ended up running out of salsa before chips.  This was two baskets of chips in and the waiter ended up bringing  us a third basket of chips and more salsa, so it was all good.  You have to love a waiter that keeps up with your chip consumption.

  I ordered a shrimp taco and a fish taco and both were good, but not really comparable to my favorite seafood tacos at Cabo Fish Taco.  Chad ordered their signature “Paco Taco” and their smoked turkey club taco and both were DELICIOUS (he let me try them before he touched them, because we always try each others food and if you don’t share a Paco Taco with your wife on your anniversary, you shouldn’t be married).  Their sides were also tasty, and I really liked my charro beans. 

IMGP7816

After lunch, Chad went home to relieve Bryce and to do some more work, and I went to pick up the two older boys from school.

IMGP7818

After we put the kids to bed, we had a little movie date with “The Impossible.”  It might not be a cutsie-romantic movie….. and Chad and I didn’t even do so much as hold hands because I was afraid of his germs (No touching!)…..and I spent a good deal of the movie doing my ugly cry and peeping through the hands  I had thrown over my face…but it really was a great way for me to end our anniversary (reminded of our precious my family is).

Better than the way Chad ended it, which was on in our bathroom.

In sickness and in health does not mean we need to share salsa.

1 comment:

Olivia Carter said...

Haha! Share salsa! I love it! Have I missed past posts about adopting? I am seriously a no good cousing! It sounds like so much work but how fantastic! And horray for anniversaries! Congrats guys!