Wednesday, May 15, 2013

To the Virtuous Women I Know, Part 3

In this last general conference Elder Uctodorf said,

Lift up your soul in prayer and explain to your Heavenly Father what you are feeling. Acknowledge your shortcomings. Pour out your heart and express your gratitude. Let Him know of the trials you are facing. Plead with Him in Christ’s name for strength and support. Ask that your ears may be opened, that you may hear His voice. Ask that your eyes may be opened, that you may see His light.

Your Heavenly Father knows that you will make mistakes. He knows that you will stumble—perhaps many times. This saddens Him, but He loves you. He does not wish to break your spirit. On the contrary, He desires that you rise up and become the person you were designed to be.

I strongly believe that we need to embrace our titles of virtuous women, even in our imperfection. It isn’t a brag or boast. It is an acknowledgement of whose side we are on, whose promptings we are striving to follow. It is an acknowledgment that we are trying to do Heavenly Father’s work and that we know as Sister Dalton said, whose we are. We are Heavenly Father’s daughters. Through our virtue, we will have strength and power to His marvelous work on earth.

One last quote I would like to leave with you that gives me great encouragement when I see my shortcomings staring me in the face. In this last general conference, Elder Scott said,

I have learned a truth that has been repeated so frequently in my life that I have come to know it as an absolute law. It defines the way obedience and service relate to the power of God. When we obey the commandments of the Lord and serve His children unselfishly, the natural consequence is power from God—power to do more than we can do by ourselves. Our insights, our talents, our abilities are expanded because we receive strength and power from the Lord.

I bear testimony to you that I know this is true. In the past few years, as I have tried more earnestly, to consistently obey God’s commandments, He has whispered to me more and more often about work that he wants me to do for Him. Each time I try to do that work, I can see more clearly who I am, and how important the people are that I am trying to serve. Every once in awhile, I will receive a little thought in my head about work that He wants me to do that seems too hard, too grand, too much for me to do. It is easy to let those promptings pass on by…sometimes thinking “Who I am I to do that” or even just pretending like it was just a passing thought that I should let float on. But when I embrace that inspiration, trusting that though I am so imperfect, so weak…I see that if I am willing to serve the Lord, that is what matters. I want you to know that our Heavenly Father has very specific work for each of us to do, and it is significant and of eternal importance.

No comments: