Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween 2012


I felt a little grumpy yesterday – still recovering from our vacation and struggling to be enthusiastic about my to-do list. After I put Carina down for a nap, I figured I would give Ollie one too, and I snuggled up with him and fell asleep. When I woke up, I ignored my to-do list, and instead decided to do this:

And then I drove through carpool and surprised the boys. It actually took them a view moments to realize it was me in line, and their reaction was worth the work. I know that someday stunts like this will only embarrass them, but that day hasn’t come yet. The staff member near them was laughing and they joined right in. I gotta tell you, I don’t have many opportunities these days to tap into my theatrical side – being able to sure cheered me right up.



Carina was originally supposed to wear a Tinkerbell costume I got on clearance a few years ago for a dollar or so. With the weather as cold as it has been, I decided it was just too skimpy. So just yesterday I called up Lindsey and asked if I could borrow the monkey costume that Mayan wore last year. It fit Carina perfectly, and after I dressed up as a witch I decided to make her my flying monkey.





At the beginning of the month, I knew that October was going to be really busy for me, so I decided I wasn’t going to sweat it trying to make the kids’costumes super creative. I dug out the costumes I bought on clearance last year and they each found one that they were more than happy with. Colin was a vampire, Ollie was a “shark ninja” and Gabe was a “ghost pirate.”


Chad went as himself, after a long road trip with me. A girl can only take so much Pink Floyd and MPG talk before she cracks!



My parents hosted a Halloween party and dinner for all the grandkids who are here in Charlotte. My mom had all her wonderful Halloween games, in addition to a very cool piñata that she made. As usual, the kids had a blast, even when the men took over the beanbag game.



After the party, we went trick or treating in my parents’ neighborhood and then our neighborhood until around 8 or so when all the kids started whining.

It was fun to see Carina’s first real Halloween. When we first started trick or treating, it was her bedtime and she just zoned out in her stroller for awhile. Then she caught a second wind and I got her out to walk up to each door. She started to really get into it, and refused to let me hold her precious “buh-et” of candy. By the time it was time to go in, she was hyper enough to try and run into the street, so it was a good time to end.
We let the kids eat some candy while we watched some mom-approved Treehouse of Horrors, and then did showers/baths and beds. They all crashed pretty quickly, and this morning were up when I got up at 6:30, watching TV and eating candy. KIDS! Love ‘em.


The program that I usually use for blogging isn't working, and I had to completely re-do this blog post....ugh. Just when I decide to try and blog more!  Trying to format these pictures has made me remember why I stopped using blogger in the first place.

5 comments:

Christie said...

Y'all look freezing! Good thing Mom and Dad will get to thaw out in a couple of weeks when they come here!

I wanted to be a witch, but a certain unnamed oldest child hated the idea of a scary Mommy, so I was a clown again. I also wanted to pick up the girls in costume, but I knew Jeb would throw a fit and want back into his one piece costume and then I would have to get him out of it again before dinner, only to put it back on for Trunk or Treat...so, yeah, basically I was too lazy.

Olivia Carter said...

Aw, love the pictures! You look fabulous & I kept meaning to do something to surprise the kids for Halloween like that but you are just brilliant! Love it!

James said...

I wore my costume to work. Surprised a lot of people.

Cat said...

Maya must have only seen Carina's wings because she told me she was a butterfly! : ) LOVE the flying monkey!

Em said...

i was that witch last year and it was SOOOO fun:) max was terrified of me. she hasn't recovered. she is still scared to death of the time i dressed up as the mean witch.