When it came time for Ollie's nap, I laid down with him to nurse where I had a clear view of the hall and stairs, and Liam just roamed around, babbling to himself. Every once in awhile he would stand at the top of the staircase and matter-of-fact-ly yell out a few baby sentences, as if he were calling to see if anyone was there, and then come toddling back into the room. Liam would look at me, blink some long blinks, lay his head on the bed, and then go back into the hall. After doing this for awhile, he just plopped his little body down with his face towards the room I was in. By this time Oliver had his eyes shut, and I saw Liam's lids slowing giving in. Within ten minutes I had two sleeping babies.
I tip-toed into the hall to admire that adorable nephew of mine, in all his sweet glory. That face! Those lashes! My heart was warm with love.
He isn't my son, but I could love him like he is.
I often look at my nieces, nephews, or even the kids I used to teach in nursery, and think to myself, "I could so totally adopt."
Is that a weird train of thought?