Sunday, January 17, 2010

Panchetta (Gabe)


This kid cracks me up on a daily basis, but today he did two things that just warmed my heart.

First, I am the Primary Secretary, so I was off in a corner doing some of my duties today, half-listening to sharing time. The pianist was playing a few notes from a song and the kids had to name the song. All of the sudden I heard Gabe answering correctly, very purposefully, in a loud and clear voice. It wasn't an easy song and he was the first one to know it. You have to know Gabe to know how big this is. I couldn't stop smiling at the sound of that voice.

Second, we were having "quiet time" (a Jeppson Sunday tradition where everyone stays in a separate room so Mommy and Daddy can hopefully take a nap) this afternoon when I heard Gabe talking. I had just gotten Ollie to sleep, so I stomped over to Gabe's room to tell him to zip it. When I looked in, he had one of the Bob books and he was sounding the words in it out, and very successfully. We have been doing reading lessons together, but this is the first time I have seen him making any reading attempt on his own. He may be a jokester, but he is also such a smart kid.