Monday, January 4, 2010

Peace from a box

When Chad first announced that he was going to have to travel with his new job, I felt a lot of initial sadness, sure. But I have to admit that I then I started to picture quiet evenings by myself. Curling up in bed to watch Pride and Prejudice yet again, maybe finally watching My Sister's Keeper, or getting completely absorbed in a book for a few hours. I was going to pamper myself at the end of the day for parenting our children solo.

It hasn't exactly gone that way. Not one bit, actually. I just watched half an hour of Anne of Green Gables (Christmas gift) while scrubbing down my kitchen and loading a third round of dishes and very soon I will be collapsing into sleep. Does that count?

I have found one way of treating myself that has become a bit of a Katie tradition. Every Monday when Chad leaves for Houston, when I go grocery shopping I buy myself a couple of Kashi meals - meals that I normally don't buy because they are on the pricey side. After Ollie has gone down for a nap, I get to sit down to a very tasty, very healthy hot meal and maybe a few moments of quiet. It actually helps a lot.


What are some surprisingly relaxing ways you have found to deal?

9 comments:

lindsey said...

wow I didn't realize he was gone that much. How long does he stay?? I've been tempted to try those when they come on sale... I may have to now.

Olivia Carter said...

Oooo! Those look YUM!

I kind of like my nights alone (maybe once a week sometimes) when I can do the exsact same things your listed. Watch Pride & Prej (both versions), watched My Sisters Keeper, & read books for hours. But it would be hard if Scott was gone a lot.

Ways to deal: Baths. Really really hot ones, blogging, making a big batch of something- salsa, carmels, pepper jelly.

Katie said...

Lindsey - he stays Monday-Friday. He will hopefully just be gone one week a month from here on out.

Olivia - I really love baths too!

Christie said...

James will be teaching at least a couple nights a week for the forseeable future and for now that means a really late night because he's teaching at a canpus an hour away. I also enjoy "treat" meals for myself, as well as feeding the girls things that James won't eat, like fish. Or just letting them have Mac N Cheese or cereal, and making myself a frozen dinner.
At this stage I don't get to pamper myself. If I'm lucky enough to get all 3 kiddos down there's tons of cleaning to do. The closest I come is letting myself clip coupons instead of clean.
But it's a mot point until I can actually get Jeb going DOWN again. SIGH.

Christie said...

Sheeseh! Look at all those typos! NAK, of course!

Katie said...

Christie - I do that too- cooking things Chad doesn't like too much. He isn't a fan of soup, so I usually make a huge pot of it and serve it twice while he gone.

Christie said...

The girls don't eat soup very well, but I just make sure I make homemade rolls to go with it and they'll fill up on those!

Audra said...

Maybe you should buy the cheaper frozen meals and use the $ you save to buy a ticket to... say... Wicked! Just sayin'...

All kidding aside, I like to pamper myself too. But it is so rare these days.

Katie said...

Audra - HAHA! I KNEW you were gonna say that!!!! That's a lot of cheaper frozen meals to get that ticket!