Since we heard that Cabo Fish Taco was on Triple D, Chad and I have been dying to go. Good Baja-style Mexican in Charlotte is a rarity, and it also happens to be the one of our favorite types of food. However, Cabo Fish Taco is a good half hour drive from our house, so we just never took the time to go. We finally went there for a date over Christmas break, and we were not disappointed.
Well, I take that back. We were disappointed with their chips and corn salsa. Fresh tortilla chips can be one of my favorite things in the world, and these were hit and miss, all in the same basket. The corn salsa was tasty by itself, but on corn tortilla chips? Just wasn't quite right.
Chad got the BBQ Mahi Tacos - "Grilled mango BBQ Mahi-Mahi tacos stuffed with Cabo slaw, tomato, avocado, mixed cheeses & finished with our cilantro white sauce." Oh my. A lot of different flavors were stuffed into those tacos, and the pay-off is a taco unlike any taco you will ever have. And can I just tell you that the tortillas were the most perfect I have had in North Carolina? Here is a clip from Triple D about these very tacos.
The sides were pretty mediocre, but it it really didn't matter. If those tacos were good enought to make me forgive the chips, I can certainly forgive the sides.
Chad and I haven't been this excited about a new restaurant find in a long time. We have talked about it over and over again since going and even though it is half an hour away and we have no coupons for it, we will be back. SOON.
Cabo Fish Taco, located in the NoDa neighborhood.
Also forgiven? The hipster-doofus neighborhood. Tell me where the phrase "hipster-doofus" comes from and you get some brownie points from me.