Thursday, May 10, 2012

1000th post, and some thoughts on blogging

Well, can you believe it?  This is post number 1,000 for me. 

I have thought a lot about blogging lately.  For one thing, I have to try and talk myself into doing it a lot of times.   Why do I keep doing it, then?  Because I never regret doing it.  I love looking back at my blog posts, even the simplest ones, ones that were just about what we were up to.  Sometimes those posts mean the most to me, looking back. 

So, I keep doing it.  Gone are the days though, when I blog about things that can now go directly on facebook – deals, coupons, little observations.  I think to myself, “Do I need a permanent record of this?” and if I don’t, it goes on facebook.  And sometimes even things that I would rather blog about go on facebook because it is easier and it reaches people more quickly.  I am the only one left in my immediate family who blogs on a regular basis, and facebook is where we all talk now, rather than through comments on blogs, like the “ ‘ol” days.

Speaking of comments, I also have to talk myself into commenting a lot of times too.  I still read blogs, I just get lazy about commenting.  Why is that?  I don’t know.  I do know I am not the only one though – I think comments are much harder to come by these days for the average blogger.  Again, I think everyone got lazy because of the like button.  Sometimes even liking something on facebook seems like work….forget commenting on a blog.

Speaking of the “average blogger”, something occurred recently on a not-so-average blogger’s blog.  She apologized for some past posts she had written.  You may know who I am talking about.  I never felt like this blogger owed anyone an apology…she was always just voicing her opinions and feelings and was always respectful, in my opinion.  I don’t always agree with her, and that is okay.  Some of the comments in response made me sick to my stomach.  Comments like, “Thank you for the apology.  You really owed me one because I am a perfect human being and so intellectually superior to you.  Now I will read your blog again, aren’t you lucky?” (How did they read her apology if they had quit reading when she offended them all so greatly?)

These comments got me so worked up and blog weary that I made myself stop checking certain blogs regularly.  I get sick of it all sometimes, and I know I am not the only one.  You see posts all the time now about being sick of blogs that make the bloggers lives look perfect….posts about remembering to stop all the blogging/facebooking/pinning in order to actually pay attention to your family and the wonderful life you are blogging/facebooking about. 

I have a million blog posts rolling around in my head these days….lots of things I would love to seriously write about.  My thoughts on body image/weight loss/diet, some of my struggles with parenting, the blessings I have received from trying to be closer to the Holy Ghost, weaknesses I have that, things that my mom taught me.  It is hard to get worked up enough to write them though, for a few reasons.  One, I really am pretty busy.  Two, I don’t want to come off the wrong way.  I don’t want to be that blogger…the one that you roll your eyes at and think, “yeah, you think you are so deep, huh?”  Okay, maybe you are nicer than me, and you don’t do that. Three,  it is hard to be that vulnerable, (because there are eye-rollers like me out there.)

So, I am not sure where that leaves me as a blogger.  Probably just doing what I am doing now, huh?

What about you?   Have you noticed any changes in blogging?  Are you a little sick of it all? 

Blogs that I still enjoy, that are very active:

Gnome Sweet Gnome, by my dear cousin Olivia. 

Emilisq, by my blog friend Em, who always keeps it real.

Lizzy Writes, by NieNie’s sister-in-law Elizabeth.  You may see her perfect looking home and food and think she is one of those blogs, but she isn’t.  She is always herself and seems like she can’t help being very sweet and classy.

Every Day I Write the Book, by Kacy Faulconer.  Kacy is genuine, funny, unique and intelligent.  She is a little like Tina Fey to me.