Soccer ended last week. We had a party at Sonic for Gabe’s party. The one by our house (on Tryon) closed last year, and we weren’t surprised because the service there was so awful. Then it reopened under new management and now they are stinkin’ awesome. They have some great deals there now, especially if you are a part of Steele Creek Athletic Association. Any time you show up in an SCAA jersey, you get a free slushie! Combine that with a deal they gave us for the party, and we got three slushies, a kid’s meal, a BLT, two corn-dogs, a chili wrap, and a soda for $2.50! Isn’t that incredible? Even more incredible? I didn’t eat any of it!!
The next night we had a party at Colin’s coach’s house. Colin had a blast, but I spent the time keeping my roaming and overtired baby out of things. She is at that stage – I spend a lot of time trailing two feet behind her. Oh, and I also got to tell one of Colin’s teammates repeatedly not to turn the hose on and spray everyone in the backyard. And guess how he responded? Blasted it on and pointed it at Ollie, completely soaking him, and then….then, folks, he looked me straight in the eye and sprayed me. Now, I am all for a good water fight, but not an unauthorized one when there are a couple of dozen kids around who aren’t supposed to get wet and trample mud into a very nice house. This was a week ago, and I still feel like I was justified in the look that I gave that kid.
So, my last little rant of the evening…
I love soccer. I love watching my kids run and sweat. I love seeing them figure out the rules and strategy. I love watching them build relationships with their teammates and coaches. I really feel it is good for them.
Our league doesn’t really make a big deal about which team is best. There are no trophies at the end for the winners. Everyone gets a little piece of a plaque every season they play in the league, to add to a big plaque. I think that is very appropriate.
However, since our first season in the league five years ago, one or more parents on each team we have been a part of have organized getting trophies or medals for everyone at the end. For being a part of the team. I know this will make me sound like an old fart, but I think that is just stupid. Sure, I could fight the fight and say that I think it is stupid and have my kid be the one kid who doesn’t get one, but that would probably make me an evil parent. So each season I shell out $5 –$10 to pay for the piece of plastic that will sit on top of their dresser with the rest of the growing collection.
I have to admit that when no one on Colin’s team this season mentioned buying trophies until the last couple of weeks, I did have a few panicky thoughts. Uh-oh. Trophies every season and then suddenly none? That won’t go over well. Do I really want this teaching moment?
This is how much of a curmudgeon I am about the whole thing: As we were leaving Colin’s party, Gabe and Colin were talking about their trophies, and Gabe said, “Mom has a lot of trophies from dance!”
And I actually said, “Yes, but I actually got mine for winning competitions. Not just for being in dance.”
Yeah, I know. Evil parent.