Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dear Chaddycakes,

It was a good day. The two youngest had a check-up. Oliver was all over the Dr's office, trying to change the AC, trying to get into the Hazardous Materials bin on the wall again and again, scowling at the Dr who shined a light in his eyes. Gabe was surprisingly chatty. They got to lay side by side as the Dr. felt their bellies. Gabe didn't cry a lick when he got his finger pricked or his flu shot. Ollie cried his betrayed-toddler-cry (How could you hold me down while they did that, mom?!) You'll be happy to hear that Oliver's weight is officially back on the charts. The final verdict? We have happy and healthy children and I am so thankful for that.


Oliver took a long long nap. He was still asleep when Colin got home and grumpy about waking up. I swooped them off to the park to enjoy the gorgeous day we were having. They headed straight for the sandbox and stayed there most of the time. I taught them how to dig for the deepest sand to make strong castles and everyone was happy...

Until Oliver started to claim all the sand toys as his own and threw a fit about sharing. A crying, snotty, little boy rolling in the sand is a sad sight to see.



He eventually got over it and we had a lovely afternoon.





We stayed until the sun was almost gone and then came home to Totino's. I know you hate that pizza, but I gotta tell you love, that stuff was sooo good. This was the boys' first time, and they were impressed.

After dinner, the two big boys got much-needed haircuts. Everyone got a shower, we read books and scriptures (maybe without the "s"), and then headed off to bed. As I sat waiting for them to fall asleep Oliver decided that bedtime was the perfect time unload in his diaper. I whispered to him that I was going to get some wipes, and he nodded solemnly from his bed (Gabe was already asleep). The minute I left the room he got up, ran into Colin's room, giggling, and woke him up. That kid, Dew.

All three of those kids. They are so beautiful, tucked in their beds, sleeping and angelic. We are so blessed, and you are so missed.

7 comments:

Audra said...

You forgot to add the "seriously" before the "so blessed" in the last sentence!

Katie said...

LOL - I know! It was definitely on purpose that I said that, my dear Audra. Thanks for catching it.

Christie said...

Don't you love days like that, though? When it all comes together (despite the tantrums and poopy diapers at bedtime) and you really FEEL your blessings? I've had some really good days like that lately. Now excuse me while I grab the not-quite-dry milk jug Jeb just rescued from the recycling.

Ashley said...

Isaac is so dang skinny, but I think Ollie is skinnier, so I'm going to stop worrying so much!

It was the first time your kids had tried Totinos? I'm shocked! We had Little Caesars last night - yum. But I can only eat one or two pieces or it makes me sick.

I'm confused - what is the sleeping situation these days?

lindsey said...

How sweet. your boys are so cute. I love days like that and it reminds me that I have to WORK to make those days happen. thanks katie.
PS.. seriously no totino's until now? we recently got a toaster oven and I am sad to say we almost always have totino's on hand...

Katie said...

Ashley - Ollie and Gabe sleep in the boy's room. One of us sits in there til they fall asleep. Colin has pretty much claimed the guest room. When Ollie is better about going to sleep I think we are going to have all three of them in the boy's room.

Don't think we don't have pizza all the time, because we totally do, but I have stay away from Totino's or I would want it all the time because it is so cheap and so tasty. Plus Chad hates it, so that makes it easier.

And Christie, I have been having so many good days lately, and I realized it is at least in part because I am now well into my second trimester and feeling good! I didn't realize how hard the first trimester was until it was over.

Christie said...

Katie, I'm feeling that way about having the first YEAR over with!