I wasn't going to start a flower garden at all this year. Then one of our friends had use of a rototiller for a week and asked if we would like to use it, so I figured I might as well take advantage of it, tear up the soil, and just throw some seeds in the ground to tide it over until next year.
Which, after working the soil QUITE a bit, is what I did. I didn't want to get into really mapping out my dream garden just yet, so I planted just a few perennials (flowers that come back every year), and then scattered the seeds of some of my favorite annuals (flowers that only live for one growing season).
This is what it all looked like on May 3rd of this year.
I put in minimal effort through probably the middle of June of so. Very minimal. I watered maybe twice a week. I didn't translate or thin my plants. I hardly ever weeded.
After June, I stopped doing anything altogether.