Monday, October 27, 2008

Disappointment

When I was in first grade, our class planned a huge Thanksgiving meal. A feast for a six year old, with moms providing pie, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and our teacher bringing in the turkey. I can still remember making the butter in class - shaking it in a jar or some such method.

What excitement! What a break from the normal reading lessons and sack lunches!

So when that day approached, and I arrived at school with a little tummy-ache, I kept it to myself. No pain was going to stop me from partaking of rolls smothered with that butter.

The preparations ensued, and then quite suddenly, before I had a chance to touch those rolls, I had to use the restroom and quickly got permission. Before I could make it there, I had an experience very much like the one that Colin had in Bobby's car the other day.

And so I had to go home before that glorious meal.

This is the all-too-true story I repeated to Colin on Saturday. You see, our ward Trunk-or-Treat was that night, and Colin was still having his "accidents" every few hours and Gabe had spent the previous night with a bowl next to him. Candy, cake walks, and passing-of-the-germs were definitely out the question for the whole family.

As you can imagine, Colin was pretty devastated, so his daddy came up with a cheerful plan for our evening home.


We would build a fort in the living room, and then eat dinner and watch a movie in there.

And then we would put on costumes and do our trick or treating out of a bathroom instead of a trunk.
Daddy saved the day.
At the end, Colin said something about "maybe next Halloween," at which point we realized that the whole time we were partying in our living room, Colin had thought we were missing Halloween! The whole shebang! Oh, that poor poor boy. What surprise, relief, and delight raced across his face when we explained his mistake.
I gotta admit that for a boy who thought he was missing Halloween, he sure handled it well.