And then I played this game I like to play a lot lately. I pull out my pre-maternity clothes and try on outfit after outfit, trying to find something that at least kind of fits and at least kind of looks good. You know the game. It isn't very fun, but it is good at sucking up time.
By the time I dressed myself, I realized it was going to be a rush just to get the kids ready on time - the pictures definitely weren't going to happen. So I played another game I am not so fond of. In this one I dig through the pile of clothes on my bedroom floor that I have managed to wash, but have not managed to put away, trying to pull together outfits for the kids that don't scream, "Member of a postpartum household." I only half succeeded in this game as well, and before we managed get out the door, Oliver managed to lose his tie and get red marker on his shirt. Add to that the scrape on his face and his appearance was living up to his orphan name.
Oh, and the hairbow my mom made for Carina's new dress? Where the heck did it go?
We were late for church, (which, despite my disorganized tendencies, actually isn't the norm for us) and by the time we straggled in, grumpy parents and hyper kids, there was not a single row in the sacrament room with enough room for a family of six. Sitting the foyer did wonders for the kids' reverence -taking it from straight from"barely acceptable" to "go sit outside before I strangle you here and now".
This is what is lovely about church though - even though I spent much of sacrament meeting thinking that we should just pack up and go home, when it really was time to leave a couple of hours later, I loved my kids, I felt calm and happy, and I no longer had a list in my head of everything that was wrong with each member of my family.
When we got home, the hairbow was found, some pictures were snapped (in which I look really tired and my hair is a mess), and really, everything that really needed to get done today was done (meaning the church part, not the pictures part).
And that is kind of sums things up for me right now.