Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Colin the Soccer Star



Well, it's very exciting. Colin has started his first organized sport. He plays soccer with other 4-6 yr olds, and it tickles me to see him out on the field, learning new things and trying to focus on the coach. I say "trying" because he does tend to space-out every once in awhile. Once a week, all the kids in his age group get together with a skills coach and he teaches them things like the "ping-pong" and the "prep kick." I think that it is really neat that four year olds aren't just practicing kicking the ball into a goal (which is what I remember doing at all my soccer practices when I was a kid), but are actually learning techniques that they can carry with them. The coach is really good at making sure they are having a good time as well.




Like I said, Colin tries really hard to pay attention, and I often hear him yelling out the right answers when the coach quizes them. His downfall (if a four year old soccer player can have a downfall) is that he loves to watch the other kids and sometimes gets caught up in their antics. Yesterday, when the coach was teaching them the next drill, I saw him laughing appreciatively as two older boys goofed around with each other. He was a little lost for a few minutes because of it, but I love that he is getting some good "boy" time.




The first few weeks, I was a little torn, sitting on the sidelines. I really wanted to stand up beside and repeat the coaches words to help him focus. I decided however, to keep my behind on the ground and made a vow to offer only words of encouragement during those practices. If we practice together at home I might allow myself to "coach" him more, but I think he needs some time away from me, where he is looking to and listening to another adult for a change. He hears me jawing at him all day, every day. I can just be his cheerleader for a change.




In addition to the skills practice once a week, they have a team practice. Chad is his team coach, with my brother Bobby (or "Robert," as he is known to most now). Once again, I have to plant myself on the sidelines, and make sure I keep my words of wisdom to myself, but in this instance it's so that I don't try and boss Chad. What is it about being a mom that brings out my inner nag?