First, the results of last week's poll:
Do you like eggnog?
Yes:8
No: 10
Still haven't tried it:2

Do you like eggnog?
Yes:8
No: 10
Still haven't tried it:2
I am finding out that I am not as normal as I thought I was :o) Oh, and thank you all for letting know you have tried it recently. I will sleep more soundly at night.
This week's poll won't be featured up in the corner there because it's not a voting poll - more of a little questionnaire.
When I was growing up, we saved all the Christmas goodies that our friends and family gave us through the month of December. On Christmas Eve, we brought them all out for a big Christmas pig-out. This was definitely the only time all year when I had summer sausage (which I loved), and one our favorite parts was the box of See's candies that our next door neighbor always gave us. We also took a drive around the town to see the Christmas lights - highlights (for you Blythonians) were always Earl Street and "Where's Waldo" in RBA. Some years we would also take treats to the widows that my dad "home-taught" and we would sing them some Christmas carols. More than once, my dad was called away at some point in the night to help a church member who was traveling through for the holidays and had car problems. We all got to open one present and then it was bedtime. I often got a new book for my present, so I would spend the night reading until my eyes drooped. We weren't allowed to get up until 6 am, and we always ended up congregating in one of the kids' rooms shortly before then so we could go wake my parents up together. I have a lot of wonderful Christmas Eve memories from growing up.
This is what we do now: We always get pizza and have it delivered so we can give the pizza man a fat tip. Then the kids open up a new pair of pajamas from Mom and Dad, and then one more present of their choice. After we get PJ's on, we load up in the van to drive around and look at lights. When we come home, we put out some cookies and milk (or eggnog) for Santa, and carrots for his reindeer. After that, we read a picture book about Jesus' birth, and then it is lights out for the little ones. We always put the baby gate up at the top of the stairs so no one can sneak down before 6 am.
So, dear readers, please do share - what are your Christmas Eve traditions?