Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Blame it on Dollar Tree


When I was a young girl and had a book I didn't want to put down to go to sleep, I would sneak my book into the bathroom with me (sounds like that one Seinfeld episode, doesn't it?) and curl up on the linoleum floor next to the tub. Here I could read in full light without waking my sisters, and though there was no lock on the door, I could open up one of the drawers to block the door from opening. Whenever my mom caught me, which was quite often, I would have time to shove my book in the cupboard before letting her in. I'm sure she knew exactly what was going on.

Thanks to a book light I found yesterday for a dollar, even though I was exhausted and ready to sleep at 9 last night, I read in bed 'til past 11, snuggled next to my sleeping baby. I felt like a sneaky twelve year old, staying up past my bedtime, unable to put my page-turner down. In the morning, when the boys woke up at 6 am (thanks a lot daylight savings), I again felt like a twelve year old. A grumpy, moody, immature twelve year old who didn't want to get up for school.

It's probably a good thing that I can count on my cheap book light to break within a few days.

Do any of you parents out there have a hard time not letting a book draw you in too much? Is it hard for you to put that book down to fulfill your parental responsibilities?

12 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Hey I'm actually listening to Graceling on audiobook right now. Helpful because I can still be cleaning, cooking, etc while enjoying it. But while I love audiobooks NOTHING beats snuggling up with a good book.

I do okay with most books (being able to put them down) but some of the more emotional ones are difficult. I HAVE to get through them to be able to sleep. There have been a few though that I've stayed up into the wee hours of the morn to finish or drop dead from exhaustion.

Those are the books you remember & love though.

lindsey said...

I have a very hard time going to bed instead of reading. I dream about the books I read (esp while prego) and If I don't like the outcome of the book I make up my own in my sleep ;) Oh and since reading Midnight Sun I have dreamt several times in the prospective of Edward.

Audra said...

I read very rarely because of that problem. With Twilight I stayed up till 2 am to finish it once. Levi was just as bad when he was reading the series as well. He was horrible when it came to Harry Potter too, so we literally avoid getting into new books because we know we do not have the time.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to go on a vacation where you JUST sit on the beach or by the pool and read. Just a week of good books!

And Lindsey, the prospective of Edward dream sounds cool!

lindsey said...

Audra- pregnancy can do things like that to ya ;)

Kari said...

I actually exercise pretty good self-control most of the time, although the last 100 pages of any book I'm always a goner. Two or three times a year I figure I'm entitled to negelect everything for a day or so while a devour a book. So. Much. Fun.

Katie said...

Chad, since I know you will be reading this, I just wanted you to notice my hand holding the book.HUGE!! It is totally like Carrie's arm in that one episode of King of Queens. Awww, too funny.

Christie said...

Of course I did the same thing in the same bathroom (you must be talking about the E Ave B one to have the drawer work like that, and I would hide my book in the cupboard ahead of time so I could go in without suspicion.

Christie said...

Oh, and now I only do it a couple times a year, like Kari. Usually soon after my B-day and Christmas.

Ashley said...

Uh, no.

Ashley said...

Just because I don't read - not because I'm all unselfish or something.

Katie said...

I got it Ash ;o)

lindsey said...

now that I look at your pic I see the carrie reference... good show :)