Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Am I the only one who does this?

I really like to search for restaurants and scour their menus. Whenever we are going somewhere new, or out for a special occasion, I will look at the menu online three or four times before we go. I really like to be prepared and I don't like feeling pressured to make up my mind quickly while we are there, with the waiter breathing over my shoulder. Have you ever gotten something and it wasn't very good and you think I knew I should have gotten something else!Plus it is just fun for me to look at menus. I like food.

Okay, I don't do this for just special occasions. I study the menus at Red Robin and Macaroni Grill before we go every time - and I have been to both of those places on multiple occasions. I also study the Entertainment Book like this. I pretty much have that thing memorized.


Chad and I are going to Asheville, NC this weekend for our anniversary. It is our first time away from the kids for a night EVER (five long years), and we figured we should take advantage of it and do something that we know they would not appreciate. So we are going to The Biltmore (which is a little funny since kids get in free right now! gulp. don't tell Colin). We are really excited because we have really wanted to go to The Biltmore since we first moved to Charlotte. Plus who knows when we will get away together again (although Italy is for sure in 2011 for our tenth anniversary). We really want to make the most of the trip.


I have spent a good three or four hours deciding where we are going to eat on Friday night. I have spent a lot of time googling and reading posts on Chowhound. My "favorites" bar is full of forerunners. I also found that Racheal Ray did one of her $40 a day episodes in Asheville, so it was fun checking out the restaurants she went to. We decided to go to Early Girl Eatery, which is one of them, for breakfast on Saturday and then realized that it doesn't open 'til 9, and we need to be at The Biltmore by then. For dinner on Friday night I have decided to try and make reservations at Limones. The menu looks elegant, fun, and unlike anything we have eaten before. They don't have the full menu online (just a sample menu), so it is a little bit of adventure for me as well.


Am I the only one who gets so excited about menus? Am I crazy?

9 comments:

Ash said...

I still look at Denny's menu before we eat there (and we've been there like 100 times) just to make sure I'm not missing something. We went to Claim Jumper for my MIL's bday and Roy and I would look at the menu daily for at least a week beforehand. And even though we've never done it, I've always wanted to stay the night in San Fran, so I know all the hotel reviews for that area!

Olivia Carter said...

Wow! I don't think I've ever looked at an online menu- maybe once when Scott was bringing me home food from a restaurant. I like the idea though! By the way, when did you guys get married? Scott & I are having out 4 year anniversary on Thursday! Woot!

Chad said...

It's really nice to have her in the car when we are driving in random parts of Charlotte and she can spot restaurants that are in the Entertainment book. It's a skill-set that we need to exploit somehow. I really think you should be a food critic - You like trying new things and I believe you to have a pretty broad pallette.

Kari said...

One more behavior for me to add to my other obsessive-compulsive traits! Thank you for letting know what I've missed.

You should have seen me planning our LA trip three years ago. I must have spent at least forty hours on the internet researching restraunts (although not menus), beaches, museums, and back-up plans and drawing up a full play-by-play of our vacation, including addresses and phone numbers. Georgia, Lance, TJ and I all got our own copy of the itinerary in case one got lost.

When you're spending the time and money you just want it to be good!

Ash said...

WOW! Kari! How are you?

Christie said...

Hi, Kari!

Audra said...

I love food myself... I get excited about going places and love to look up good places to eat, but I am spontaneous when it comes to the menu. I usually do not look it up ahead of time. But I usually decide quickly and there are some places where I always get the same things!

Autumn said...

I don't ever look at the menu before hand but that's probably because I usually order the same thing every time. I Mapquested a lot of the restaurants in the Entertainment book and I've turned into a coupon junkie. My husband wants to spontaneously get ice cream sometimes and I'm like let me check my coupons :)

Autumn said...

Hey Kari how are ya!?!