Thursday, April 17, 2008

Confession


Some of you might know that I am a little anti-video-games. I really don't want my kids to grow up sitting on the couch all day playing them, and I know they are so easy to get an addiction to. I even have a hard time seeing Chad play computer games. One night I was feeling very spiteful towards Chad so I actually hid his Madden football game and lied to his face about it. Maybe I shouldn't admit that - it makes me sound a little psycho - I swear it was the most spiteful thing I have ever done to him, and I 'fessed up a few days later when the mood had passed. I have since apologized and realize how serious a crime that was.
Until recently, only computer games were allowed in our house. No X-Box, no Playstation 3, no matter how many times I heard about how Chad's buddies at work had all of them.

Over the course of almost a year, Chad tried to talk me into getting a Wii.
It finally worked.

Bryce worked at K-Mart and let us know when they got some in, so we brought one home with us from Blythe.

Like I said in my previous post, Colin is allowed to play each time he does a reading lesson, and then it is only for twenty minutes. I still feel a little weird about it.


Here is the big confession though - Chad now has the perfect way of getting back at me. All his has to do is hide Wii Play because I am addicted to one particular game. There is a shooting game that requires very little skill, and last night Chad and I were up 'til 11 playing it. It's fun. It's really fun. I have a higher high score than Chad, which makes me very proud. When I went to bed last night and closed my eyes, I saw targets, and last night I had a dream that I was shooting missles and saving the world. The whole thing feels very bizarre. Anyone wanna come over and play with me?

BTW, the picture above is from the level that I totally rock at. I am all about precision. The aliens at the end is where Chad dominates me.

7 comments:

Christie said...

The biggest "the honeymoon is over" moment for me was when we moved out here just before our first anniversary, I was throwing up all the time, and James started playing computer video games. I'm very anti-video game (partly because I know how addicted I can get!) and felt quite betrayed by his waiting until I was "trapped" before revealing that side of him (ok, pregnancy hormones, ya' think?). I totally understand the temptation to hide them! Thankfully we can't afford a Wii right now, because I'm afraid I would give in.

James said...

Don't worry, I'm not interested in a Wii. I've been thinking about a few different games to get for the computer, but I'm waiting to see how busy things get over the next while before I decide if/which to get.

Btw, the military is looking for lots of UAV pilots becuase they can't convince the regular pilots to take the assignment for very long if at all. The Army found that recruits that play(ed) video games have the skills needed to pilot their UAVs. The future of military aviation is going to almost excusively UAV, so I guess you could say your Wii is a training device.

Of course, I think they said the same basic thing about the people they recruit for the Air Defense Artillery about 10 or so years ago... Playing Missle Command and such turned out to be better training than the military's own simulators.

Mom said...

OH NO! and all because I called you about the Wii! And having the game that broke you was a SHOOTING
GAME is even worse! :)

Mom said...

BTW, did Chad get the game when he was here?

Olivia Carter said...

I LOVE THE WII! I thought Scott was insane until I played it & that shooting game is my fav too! We'll have to face off one of these days!

Christie said...

James- Don't worry? That you aren't interested in the one system that has some redeeming features, but you ARE considering other games?! Arggggggh! And you aren't going to be a virtual piolt for the military, btw.

lindsey said...

so i get lectured for not blogging and then.... no comments. well i blogged,go read it