Thursday, June 12, 2008

Can I brag a little?

Here is my first vegetable garden! I am so happy with the way it is going. I have summer squash, zucchini, "Lemon Boy" tomatoes, grape tomatoes, "Better Boy" tomatoes, "Big Boy" tomatoes, mini sweet orange bell peppers, red bell peppers, cilantro, basil, and some pea plants that I planted way too late that are NOT doing well, so I don't really count them.

Okay, I haven't actually gotten any vegetables yet, but it's only a matter of time (I hope! Cross your fingers for me!)


And just in case I hear any comments about green thumbs and black thumbs, it all comes down to hard work people!

More seriously, this garden, along with my flower garden, which is still looking rather pathetic, have really kept me going this pregnancy. Since I care about it so much and enjoy it like I do, it gets me moving in the mornings. I have spent the last two mornings out there for 3 hours at a time. I hit up a plant sale a few weeks ago and received about 30 flower plants in the mail two days ago that I wanted to get in the ground as soon as possible, plus I had a ton of weeding to do. Not many things motivate me like gardening does and hopefully I will be enjoying the fruits of my labor in more ways than one in August.

*Oh, and in case any of you are wondering how I manage to garden for three hours at a time when I have two boys to take care of, I pretty much let them watch as much TV as they want on those days. C'mon, I am bragging about being a good gardener, not a good mother :o)