Monday, June 16, 2008

Karma bites me in the bud

I guess I should know better. My parents taught me not to brag.
I took a stroll out to my corner flower garden yesterday afternoon and found a heartbreaking sight -
Japanese beetles decimating my zebra mallow and my knock-out-rose bush.
The damage was severe by the time I found them, and I have spent the last two days researching them and plucking these evil beasts off and drowning them in soapy water. I have heard an old-timers way of getting rid of them is to blend some of the dead ones up and spray the "juice" on your plants. I am very tempted to try it.

6 comments:

lindsey said...

i asked seth if he knew anything more to do and sadly he said there isn't much you can do. he usually would know what to do so next time give him a call.. he even has some organic remedies for veggies. (he took a whole class of pest control and is actually licensed in idaho) good luck!

mom said...

OH,NO! I'm so sorry! I've heard that Japanese beetles are hard to get rid of them. You should try the old-time solution. Good luck!

Autumn said...

Those beetles look vicious! Bugs in general don't bother me but I'm a wimp when it comes to actually touching them (even with gardening gloves)! Good luck.

Christie said...

Beetle Juice! Beetle Juice! Beetle Juice!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Jonelle said...

I am not terribly experienced at drowning bugs (vicious, by the way)but why soapy water? Did you want them to have a clean death?

Katie said...

I assume the soap is what actually kills them - I think they could they have a chance to climb out the water...