Sunday, November 11, 2007

Slowly coming together




For the first few months that we lived in this house, our front room was completely empty. It is rather large, probably 20 ft by 20 ft at least, and is meant to be a sitting room/dining room. We didn't have a dining room table big or nice enough to use in there at first, so it was an indoor soccer field. The boys absolutely loved their air-conditioned games and we were okay with them scuffing up the paint because we knew we were going to paint over the cheap cheap flat paint.


The games had to end a couple of months ago when we got a dining room table. I wasn't quite prepared to put the room all together yet, but some firm ideas were settling in my head, and the dining set was a nice springboard. This is my room now - I completely gave the living room over to Chad when he got his TV. So I have been filing through Martha Stewart Living, and deciding what Katie would want in her ultimate Katie room. I have been buying Katie decor but haven't put any of it up yet, because I wanted to do the bulk of it all at once, instead of just staggering it out forever and ending up with a things that would just due. So yesterday we added one more touch - we painted it, and I am absolutely thrilled with the color. It was actually from the Martha Stewart paint collection at Lowe's. It is called Cake Stand Blue, and I have no idea why, but it is a lovely color nevertheless. It looked like white when we poured it into the pan, but with the first roll on the wall, you could see how beautiful it was against white. The picture doesn't come close to capturing the freshness of the color. As you can see from the picture, the chairs of my table are black, and I wanted a huge contrast between them and the wall. I will do simple white curtains and sometime in the future add white crown moulding and chair rails. My decor, which I probably be hanging tomorrow, is mainly black and white. I just love the freshness of the wall colors and I will be adding some natural elements to the room. I am hopefully going to buy a sofa for the entry way area soon and maybe we will add wood floor in the future. Carpet in a dining room just doesn't work!

Okay, so this is one of the reasons I haven't posted in the last few days! Sorry! Hopefully I will have so more interesting posts soon.