Well, it is that special time of the year again - the sick season. It started early this year with Colin's croup in October, and since then one of us has always been sick. I currently have three disgusting cold sores, updated from when I took this picture yesterday with only two cold sores.
The cold sores just popped up a few days ago, but the cold has been here for five weeks now. No fever, nothing to indicate anything more serious, just a yucky cough for over a month. Colin has been coughing for that long as well. Chad and I went on a date last night after the boys went down, with Bobby babysitting, and when we came home, Gabe was calmly sitting on the couch with him. As he let out his "Mommy, where were you?" cry, out came a raspy, seal bark of a cough . Sometime between 6:30, when I put him to sleep, and 8:00, when Bobby heard him crying, he developed a cough. Don't you love that? When Gabe woke up this morning, one eye was slightly crusty and runny. Are we going to add pink eye to the mix? If it is viral, there is no treatment. If it is bacterial, it needs antibiotics. Here is the difference between the two, courtesy of Dr. Sears :
1. Bacteria – when the eyes are red with yellow or green drainage oozing or crusting in the eye throughout the day and night, then bacteria are usually the culprit. The eyelids may also be swollen. Affects one or both eyes.
2. Virus – when the eyes are very red, but there is no drainage, or only a small amount of drainage or crusting upon waking up, then it is probably viral conjunctivitis. Usually affects both eyes.
2. Virus – when the eyes are very red, but there is no drainage, or only a small amount of drainage or crusting upon waking up, then it is probably viral conjunctivitis. Usually affects both eyes.
I am leaning towards viral, because it was only crusty when he woke up, but I might be taking him to the Dr. before the day is over. Luckily we have an nice, clean, express place nearby that never has a wait.
I think something is wrong with me, but I feel really really guilty whenever my kids get sick. Maybe it is because of the commercials for antibacterial wipes and tissues that try to convince us that we can prevent all childhood illness (or even that we should). Maybe it is because I still remember how horrible and inept I felt when Gabe got RSV when he was five weeks old and was hospitalized. Maybe it is because I like to leave doctors and prescription drugs out of the picture whenever I can, and sometimes when I compare myself to the moms that stick their kids on antibiotics whenever they can, I seem like I am not doing enough. Whatever it is, each time I hear Gabe let out that bark, I feel like a failure.
Sorry for the negative post - I promise I am pretty darn happy right now, but the sick season always gets to me.