Sunday, January 27, 2008

Battling the winter weight


Chad and I admitted to each other yesterday that we have put on a few more pounds than we should have over the course of the holidays. We decided that in addition to going back to the good eating habits that we are very familiar with, once a week we are going to find a healthful recipe and make it together. We chose Stuffed Turkey Burgers this week, and made Grilled Zucchini Rolls on the side. We followed the recipe exactly with the burgers. I roasted my own red pepper under the broiler for the stuffing part, and we grilled some slices of whole grain bread to put the burgers on. The kids really liked them. I would add a little more seasoning because they were a little bland, but they were still tasty, hearty, and held together quite well on the grill. With the zucchini rolls, I followed the recipe but left out the fresh basil, because I forgot to buy it, and I used reduced-fat feta cheese instead of goat cheese, because Walmart and Aldi don't carry goat cheese, and I wasn't about to go to a third grocery store. Chad and I both really really liked the rolls. They had a nice summery taste to them. It was a very filling meal, without leaving us with a too-full bloated feeling.