Let me preface this post by saying this was a year full of poorly scripted films and Sequels selling out for the easy buck (See Spiderman, Pirates, and Shrek). With that being said, I think there were some nice films that are worth mentioning. None of them will crack my All-time Top 5 - except probably #3 (Future Post?), but still, worth seeing.
5. Transformers - This was the first movie we saw on the new TV and Sound system, so maybe this is a classic case of being caught up in the moment, but I really enjoyed this movie. I thought for an action movie, it was peppered with some witty writing and you can't knock the amazing special effects. I would have loved to have seen this in the theaters.
4. Breach - What a fantastic movie. For some reason "Breach" only grossed $33 Mil in the US, while somehow "Norbit" can rake in $90 Mil (Including $15 from Levi and Audra..:). This was the best movie that nobody watched. Essentially this is the true story of Robert Hanssen (played by Chris Cooper), who is considered the biggest US spy since World War II. Great way to spend $2.50 and a couple of hours of time.
3 - Simpsons Movie - Does it make any sense that this falls #3 on this list, but could be a Top 5 All-time movie? I know that is completely counter-intuitive, but I envision myself watching this movie 10-15 times during the course of my life. It was everything I was hoping it would be, and then some. They push the envelope a little further than what FOX will allow, but never cross the line (except once). Absolutely hilarious. If you don't find yourself laughing uncontrollably during this movie, you are either a Communist or you simply don't understand English and should probably enroll in a Community College.
2 - The Bourne Ultimatum - Let me just state, that I loved the first two, and this was my favorite. Unlike Shrek, Pirates, and Spiderman, they tried. They took a hugely successful series and improved upon it, instead of killing it and making a few bucks along the way. There were a few phenomenal scenes that simply made this movie better than all but 1 in '07...
1 - I am Legend - I love watching movies with Katie because she has great composure during movies and can be counted on as a pillar of strength when things get intense, and its good to know its there. About 45 minutes into the movie I used the restroom, when I came back she had her coat partially covering her face because the movie was just too much. This movie is a fantastic mix of intensity, emotion, and shear horror. What I like most about this movie is that they didn't cheat. Most movies that fall into the horror genre cheat. They get their intensity from grizly images and sudden loud noises - "I am Legend" didn't do that. The biggest mistake I made was using the bathroom, I almost feel cheated. I am not a huge Will Smith fan, but he did a great job. The special effects were on par with what you would expect as well. Please drop the $7.50 on this movie, as waiting until it becomes a New Release would be cheating yourself. Let me know your Top 5 - I'm always looking for a great movie - Here is my honorable mention list: Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix, Blades of Glory, Oceans Thirteen, Dan in Real Life