Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cancelled Church


We got a call last night that church would be cancelled in the morning because of fears of icy roads this morning. It was snowing/raining last night and there were freezing temperatures expected through the morning, so they didn't want anyone traveling on dangerous roads. As soon as we got the call, Chad said, "Happy Birthday to me!" (his birthday is today, and the cancellation meant he got to sleep in until 9:30).


I woke up this morning to the sun glaring through my window, and this is a picture of our backyard. It is indeed very sunny, but still very cold. There is no sign of ice from our house, but we haven't been anywhere else, so maybe there roads are bad elsewhere and I just don't know.


Our first winter here, straight from Provo, we were utterly shocked when the first storm hit and the news started announcing all the schools, stores, businesses, and churches that were closed. Nothing ever closes in Provo. I have a very vivid memory of driving to work with Chad and the car started sliding when we were going down a small hill, but we had to keep going because we were definitely still expected to be there.

Icy roads are more dangerous than snowy roads, I will admit, but I still can't help but think that the southern reaction to a winter storm tends to be a bit dramatic. However, I really don't mind at all. I would much rather have all my obligations cancelled for me than venture out in bad weather.